all messages for Guix-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Upgrading NumPy and friends
@ 2024-10-19  7:51 Sharlatan Hellseher
From: Sharlatan Hellseher @ 2024-10-19  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix!

I would like to open a conversation on upgrading NumPy, Pandas, Numba
and SciPY.

It would be reasonable to refresh that core scientific packages for
Python after merging python-team which is nearly finished building.

Stats:
- branch :: master
- repository URL :: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git
- commit :: 48097f511929053468ce6f09e0a24644c90fe670

| Package       | Dependents | Guix version | Upstream version | Checked                |
|---------------+------------+--------------+------------------+------------------------|
| python-numba  |        136 |       0.56.4 |           0.60.0 | <2024-10-19 Sat 08:42> |
| python-numpy  |       3394 |       1.23.2 |            2.1.2 | <2024-10-19 Sat 08:38> |
| python-pandas |        423 |        2.1.1 |            2.2.3 | <2024-10-19 Sat 08:43> |
| python-scipy  |        334 |       1.12.0 |           1.14.1 | <2024-10-19 Sat 08:42> |

I've started noticing that more and more projects require a fresh
version of NumPy during Astro upgrade monthly, sometimes it's captured
on sanity check phase, but most of the time the package is just not work
especially when it depends on python-astropy which heavily depends on
NumPy.

Does anyone work on that packages or would be interested in taking the
flag?

Oleg

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Upgrading NumPy and friends
@ 2024-10-23 20:36 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2024-10-23 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher
  Cc: guix-devel, lars, marius, me, sharlatanus, tanguy, jgart

Hello,

Sharlatan Hellseher <sharlatanus@gmail.com> skribis:

> I would like to open a conversation on upgrading NumPy, Pandas, Numba
> and SciPY.

Cc’ing members of the Python team, to make sure the right people are in
the loop.

> It would be reasonable to refresh that core scientific packages for
> Python after merging python-team which is nearly finished building.

[...]

> I've started noticing that more and more projects require a fresh
> version of NumPy during Astro upgrade monthly, sometimes it's captured
> on sanity check phase, but most of the time the package is just not work
> especially when it depends on python-astropy which heavily depends on
> NumPy.
>
> Does anyone work on that packages or would be interested in taking the
> flag?

I’m not a Python person, but I know it’s important work, and often
difficult.

Perhaps it would make sense for interested people, in particular in the
‘python’ team, to work closely together on that and maybe have IRC or
audioconf meetings to coordinate?

My 2¢,
Ludo’.

* Re: Upgrading NumPy and friends
@ 2024-10-23 23:14   ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2024-10-23 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Sharlatan  Hellseher
  Cc: guix-devel, lars, marius, me, sharlatanus, tanguy

Hi,

I like the idea of audio/video confs for the Python team.

My availability is limited these days but I can participate in an hour discussion if we can coordinate it around my work schedule and if the branches can be kept small and topic-oriented in order to not let them go stale/long-lived. I think that this will help to decrease maintenance time of a branch and to focus our efforts.

random question:

Is our goal still to eventually move all python packages to pyproject-build-system and zap the python-build-system?

all best,

jgart

P.S.

Python code that depends on Rust might increase maintenance time...