Hi, The attached patch maintains a historical mapping from user names to UIDs/GIDs (even when those users are removed from the user accounts), to solve , as proposed by Mark H Weaver in . (The proposed garbage collector is not included, however.) As I proposed in , the information of this mapping is kept in a special 'user'. However, I didn't implement the same for groups (raises some questions about atomicity -- /etc/passwd and /etc/groups are separate files). I didn't completely follow that proposal though, since: > https://issues.guix.gnu.org/36508#16: > Problem is that things like GDM would still propose those old accounts > (unless maybe their password is uninitialized, I’m not sure; but it’s > still hacky.) , though that could perhaps be solved by adjusting GDM appropriately. "make check TESTS=tests/accounts.scm" passes, but otherwise the patch is rather untested (hence, 'DRAFT') -- the new functionality will need a few additional tests in tests/account.scm, to avoid introducing bugs in the handling of /etc/passwd. On second thought, a separate /etc/previous-uids (as proposed in by Ludovic Courtès) might be better (there are atomicity issues anyway, due to /etc/passwd and /etc/groups being separate files, and losing the historical mapping is relatively harmless and seems unlikely to happen in practice). Greetings, Maxime