On Mon, 2021-04-05 at 21:54 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > [...] > > OK. It does mean that the bug is hardly exploitable in practice: you > have to be able to log in at all, Yes. > and if you’re able to log in, you have > to log in precisely within the 1s (or less) that follows account > creation, which sounds challenging (TCP + SSH connection establishment > is likely to take as much time or more, Is logging in possible when the home directory doesn't exist? It isn't possible from the console. I guess it isn't possible from SSH either. If it is possible, then the window would be somewhat larger I think. Account creation is done at activation time, while creating home directories is done as a shepherd service (see account-service-type in gnu/system/shadow.scm). > likewise for typing in your password.) An attacker could copy and paste, or have used a single-character password, to save some time. > It’s also one-time chance. Yes. > Do I get it right? I think so, except the window might be larger (but still a one-time chance). > Does it warrant as strong messaging as for the recent daemon > ‘--keep-failed’ vulnerability? As it is a one-time chance, with a limited window, and only under specific circumstances (creating a new user account), I don't think so. But I would still recommend to upgrade. Does the blog post have ‘too strong messaging’? Greetings, Maxime