unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Icecat and Chromium don't activate the right color scheme of websites
@ 2023-03-08 15:01 Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2023-03-08 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help guix

I was wondering if any of you can reproduce the following issue using either Icecat or Chromium (ungoogled). I'm using the Guix System ab6e434 and the official Guix channel, Icecat 102.8.0esr and Chromium 109.0.5414.119.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Set your desktop environment or web browser to use a dark theme.
2. Visit https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/texinfo-css/

EXPECTED RESULT

The visited page is displayed using its dark style.

UNEXPECTED RESULT

The visited page is displayed using its light style.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The light/dark themes provided by the visited page are activated correctly when using Epiphany browser in Guix or other web browsers in vaious mobile devices.

QUESTIONS

Do you know of any defaults in Icecat or Chromium that might be preventing the expected functionality from working correctly? As far as I understand the versions of both Icecat and Chromium in Guix are supposed to support all the features required for automatic color scheme activation to work.

Thanks,

---
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: Icecat and Chromium don't activate the right color scheme of websites
@ 2023-03-08 15:12 ` Timo Wilken
From: Timo Wilken @ 2023-03-08 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Luis Felipe, help guix

Hi Luis,

On 8 March 2023 16:01:11 CET, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if any of you can reproduce the following issue using either Icecat or Chromium (ungoogled). I'm using the Guix System ab6e434 and the official Guix channel, Icecat 102.8.0esr and Chromium 109.0.5414.119.
>
>STEPS TO REPRODUCE
>
>1. Set your desktop environment or web browser to use a dark theme.
>2. Visit https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/texinfo-css/

Yes, I can reproduce this in IceCat.

>QUESTIONS
>
>Do you know of any defaults in Icecat or Chromium that might be preventing the expected functionality from working correctly? As far as I understand the versions of both Icecat and Chromium in Guix are supposed to support all the features required for automatic color scheme activation to work.

It works for me if I disable IceCat's "resist fingerprinting" option (search for "fingerprint" on about:preferences). I assume that sites can fingerprint your browser based on its theme (light or dark), which is presumably why this option disables the CSS feature.

I have also set Language and Appearance > Web site appearance to "IceCat theme" in about:preferences; my theme is "System theme - auto" and I'm using a dark GTK theme.

Cheers,
Timo

* Re: Icecat and Chromium don't activate the right color scheme of websites
@ 2023-03-08 16:35   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2023-03-08 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Timo Wilken; +Cc: help guix