Vivien Kraus wrote: > Le jeudi 30 avril 2020 à 14:59 +0000, Josh Marshall a écrit : >> I’m trying to run `npm install -g browserify` with the output below. >> npm ERR! path /gnu/store/39zkw3a8lxkxs7rmx4238959zc368075-node-10.19.0/lib/node_modules > > I am a mere guix user, so you may want to have another answer. I am not even a Guix (the SD) user, but this made me curious. > You cannot install anything globally with NPM in guix because NPM is installed in a read-only location (/gnu/store/) So? /usr/ in traditional GNU distributions might be read-only as well, but it does not impede npm(1) or pip(1) or whatever install things system-wide (given that operator utilize his superuser powers, of course), as there are plenty other hierarchies available. Why is npm in Guix built with default ‘prefix’¹ (means, for --global actions) set to package directory under /gnu/store/ instead of, say, /usr/local? --- ¹ $ npm config get prefix