unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* flatpak applications in the gnome applications menu (XDG_DATA_DIRS)
@ 2021-02-07 18:59 Christophe Pisteur
From: Christophe Pisteur @ 2021-02-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help guix

Hello,

I installed Element (1) by flatpak, but applications installed by
Flatpak do not appear on the gnome desktop applications menu (even
after reboot).

When I run Element through the terminal, I get the following message:

$ flatpak run im.riot.Riot
Note that the directories
'/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share''/home/christophe/.local/share/flatpak/
exports/share'
are not in the search path set by the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment
variable, soapplications installed by Flatpak may not appear on your
desktop until thesession is restarted.
/home/christophe/.var/app/im.riot.Riot/config/Element exists:
yes/home/christophe/.var/app/im.riot.Riot/config/Riot exists:
noStarting auto update with base URL:
https://packages.riot.im/desktop/update/Auto update not supported on
this platform
Note that the directories
'/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share''/home/christophe/.local/share/flatpak/
exports/share'
are not in the search path set by the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment
variable, soapplications installed by Flatpak may not appear on your
desktop until thesession is restarted.
Error getting the event index passphrase out of the secret store
[Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown]

what should I do?

thank you in advance,

Christophe

(1) https://element.io/

* Re: flatpak applications in the gnome applications menu (XDG_DATA_DIRS)
@ 2021-02-07 19:27 ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-07 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Pisteur, help guix

Hello!

This issue happens to me as well but using that command you said just
runs Element for me even though it prints some errors (same as yours).
Does it not work for you?

Léo

* Re: flatpak applications in the gnome applications menu (XDG_DATA_DIRS)
@ 2021-02-07 21:07   ` Christophe Pisteur
From: Christophe Pisteur @ 2021-02-07 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Léo Le Bouter, help guix

Hello,

Yes, the command works perfectly fine (with errors indicated by
terminal output) but I wish I could launch Element from the gnome menu.

Christophe

@ 2021-02-07 23:07 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-02-07 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Pisteur; +Cc: help guix

Hi, Christophe,

> I installed Element (1) by flatpak, but applications installed by
> Flatpak do not appear on the gnome desktop applications menu (even
> after reboot).

You have to add some paths to XDG_DATA_DIRS.

I'm using Guix System, and this is what I do:

1. Add the following to .bash_profile file

# MAKE FLATPAK APPLICATION LAUNCHERS AVAILABLE IN GUIX'S GNOME
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="$XDG_DATA_DIRS:$HOME/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share"
export XDG_DATA_DIRS="$XDG_DATA_DIRS:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share"

Note that I don't know why ".bash_profile" instead of ".profile". I use the former because using the latter never works for me.

2. Restart the GNOME SHELL. You can do this as follows:

2.1 Press Alt + F2
2.2 Enter the letter r
2.3 Press Enter

After this, flatpak applications should be listed along with the applications you install with guix.

About the error, I don't know. I've experienced other problems with flatpaks though. For example, it is common that some flatpak applications can't access the file system, but some can.

Anyways, hope that helps.

* Re: flatpak applications in the gnome applications menu (XDG_DATA_DIRS)
@ 2021-02-07 23:53 ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira via
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira via @ 2021-02-07 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Em 07/02/2021 15:59, Christophe Pisteur escreveu:
> I installed Element (1) by flatpak, but applications installed by

First question is: why is Flatpak being distributed by Guix without any patch to conform to GNU FSDG?

Perhaps this is another instance of bug #45450 ([1]).

Also, unfortunately it seems that the software in question downloaded from there isn`t free/libre either ([2]).

# References

[1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45450 .

[2]: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Review:Riot.im-REV-ID-1 .

--
* Ativista do software livre
	* https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
	* Membro dos grupos avaliadores de
		* Software (Free Software Directory)
		* Distribuições de sistemas (FreedSoftware)
		* Sites (Free JavaScript Action Team)
	* Não sou advogado e não fomento os não livres
* Sempre veja o spam/lixo eletrônico do teu e-mail
	* Ou coloque todos os recebidos na caixa de entrada
* Sempre assino e-mails com OpenPGP
	* Chave pública: vide endereço anterior
	* Qualquer outro pode ser fraude
	* Se não tens OpenPGP, ignore o anexo "signature.asc"
* Ao enviar anexos
	* Docs., planilhas e apresentações: use OpenDocument
	* Outros tipos: vide endereço anterior
* Use protocolos de comunicação federadas
	* Vide endereço anterior
* Mensagens secretas somente via
	* XMPP com OMEMO
	* E-mail criptografado e assinado com OpenPGP

* Re: flatpak applications in the gnome applications menu (XDG_DATA_DIRS)
@ 2021-02-08  0:10   ` Léo Le Bouter
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-08  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adonay Felipe Nogueira, help-guix

On Sun, 2021-02-07 at 20:53 -0300, Adonay Felipe Nogueira via wrote:
> Em 07/02/2021 15:59, Christophe Pisteur escreveu:
> > I installed Element (1) by flatpak, but applications installed by
>
> First question is: why is Flatpak being distributed by Guix without
> any patch to conform to GNU FSDG?

The version distributed by GNU Guix does conform to the GNU FSDG.
Additional remotes that may contain any kind of software free or
nonfree have to be manually added by the user, their freedom, after
all. I hope to get to a point where we have a fork of Electron
similarly to Ungoogled-chromium. This way applications based on it are
less problematic to build.

* Re: flatpak applications in the gnome applications menu (XDG_DATA_DIRS)
@ 2021-02-08  5:52 Christophe Pisteur
From: Christophe Pisteur @ 2021-02-08  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lle-bout, help guix

> Em 07/02/2021 15:59, Christophe Pisteur escreveu:>> I installed
Element (1) by flatpak, but applications installed by

> First question is: why is Flatpak being distributed by Guix without
any patch
> to conform to GNU FSDG?

> Perhaps this is another instance of bug #45450 ([1]).

> Also, unfortunately it seems that the software in question downloaded
from
> there isn`t free/libre either ([2]).
>

> # References
>

> [1]: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=45450 .
>
> [2]: https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Review:Riot.im-REV-ID-1 .
I installed element by flathub. To my knowledge, it is completely free
software, but not in the guix package repository.