unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* My Guile Hacker Handbook
@ 2020-07-23  6:18 Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2020-07-23  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guile User; +Cc: Guix Help

Hello hackers !

I would liko to introduce my (almost started) book to you :
https://jeko.frama.io

It aims to provide a tutorial-like way to learn Guile. But also to get
used to tests.

As I am not an experienced Guile hacker, the book will emerge
accordingly to my Guile journey haha.

Hope it can help someone to jump in and hack.

Cheers,

Jérémy

* test anything? (Re: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-07-23  6:46 ` Marc Chantreux
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2020-07-23  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

hello,

> I would liko to introduce my (almost started) book to you :
> https://jeko.frama.io

a french guile documentation is very welcome (should be nice to have a
french mailing list as well).

> Hope it can help someone to jump in and hack.

i just discovered srfi 64 thanks to your page. the thing is: when it
comes to test report, i have one simple rule: TAPs or GTFO.

so i saw a TAP lib for guile (https://github.com/xevz/guile-tap) which
is not mentioned in the testanything.org/ or guile documentation.

so ... questions:

* is srfi the official/recommended test lib?
* if so, is there a way to get TAP render from it?
* if not so, what is the best strategy to get TAP from it?

regards,
marc

* Re: My Guile Hacker Handbook
@ 2020-07-23  7:41 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2020-07-23  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: Guix Help

Hi Jérémy!

The handbook looks great visually. I like the artwork, which is also
used on the Guile website. It looks inviting to get going with coding.
As for the website itself, how did you create it on the backend side? Ah
I just saw the link to the repo!

Default language seems to be French, which is fine. Might however lead
to people missing the language switcher, if they do not understand
French. Although it is at the top, so it should be pretty obvious.
Perhaps an initial language chooser would be best.

I also like the emphasis on testing in the guide.

Looking forward to any further content!

Regards,
Zelphir

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl

* Re: My Guile Hacker Handbook
@ 2020-07-23  9:17   ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2020-07-23  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl; +Cc: Guix Help

Hi Zelphir !

> The handbook looks great visually. I like the artwork, which is also
> used on the Guile website. It looks inviting to get going with
> coding.

The artwork used is not meant to stay as is but it does the job right
now. (Sirgazil, hope you don't mind...)

I have to custom the code highlight to handle scheme (default don't...)

> As for the website itself, how did you create it on the backend side?
> Ah
> I just saw the link to the repo!

I use a fork of mdbook to provide multi-language feature :

https://github.com/gambhiro/mdBook/tree/multilang/

(To share my vision, I would go for a Skribilo version some day)

> Default language seems to be French, which is fine. Might however
> lead
> to people missing the language switcher, if they do not understand
> French. Although it is at the top, so it should be pretty obvious.
> Perhaps an initial language chooser would be best.

I guess I will make english the default. And put some word about other
languages in the homepage.

> I also like the emphasis on testing in the guide.

It's my favorite too hahahaha

> Looking forward to any further content!

For sure, I think the awesome list you initiate will help to speed up
the process ! ;)

Thank you for your feedback ! It helps !

Jérémy

* Re: My Guile Hacker Handbook
@ 2020-07-23 10:32 ` Bonface M. K.
From: Bonface M. K. @ 2020-07-23 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> writes:

> Hello hackers !
>
> I would liko to introduce my (almost started) book to you :
> https://jeko.frama.io

Thanks for sharing!

> It aims to provide a tutorial-like way to learn Guile. But also to get
> used to tests.
>
> As I am not an experienced Guile hacker, the book will emerge
> accordingly to my Guile journey haha.
>
> Hope it can help someone to jump in and hack.

I am that person ;)

--
Bonface M. K. (https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com)
One Divine Emacs To Rule Them All

* Re: My Guile Hacker Handbook
@ 2020-07-23 14:09   ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2020-07-23 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bonface M. K.; +Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

Le jeudi 23 juillet 2020 à 13:32 +0300, Bonface M. K. a écrit :
> I am that person ;)

Please leave me your feedback on anything !

Jérémy

* Re: a French mailing list (was: test anything? (Re: My Guile Hacker Handbook))
@ 2020-07-23 15:08   ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-07-23 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Chantreux; +Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

Marc Chantreux <eiro@phear.org> wrote:
> hould be nice to have a french mailing list [for Guile] as well

FWIW, the help-guix@gnu.org list, which you are crossposting, announce [1] a policy of welcoming mail in many languages besides English, which looks like a pretty sane choice, until there is substantial traffic in a given language.

I would only ask users there, to double-check their spelling before sending anything.

[1] https://guix.gnu.org/contact/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: a French mailing list (was: test anything? (Re: My Guile Hacker Handbook))
@ 2020-07-23 20:34     ` Marc Chantreux
From: Marc Chantreux @ 2020-07-23 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

hello,

> FWIW, the help-guix@gnu.org list, which you are crossposting, announce
> [1] a policy of welcoming mail in many languages besides English,
> which looks like a pretty sane choice, until there is substantial
> traffic in a given language.

thanks for letting us know. i'll definitely use this opportunity.

marc

* No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-07-24  0:06 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-07-24  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> wrote:
> https://jeko.frama.io

> ## Installation

> ### On Windows
>
> No solution yet.

Is that true?  Itʼs true (and a pity) that there no official packages, of course, but ‘no solution’?

I vaguely recall, there was a Guile on MinGW a couple of years ago, does it no longer build?  And what happened with Cygwin package after all?  cygwin.com says, that 3.0.4 is there [1].

[1] https://cygwin.com/packages/summary/guile3.0.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: My Guile Hacker Handbook
@ 2020-07-24  0:58     ` Bonface M. K.
From: Bonface M. K. @ 2020-07-24  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski; +Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> writes:

> Le jeudi 23 juillet 2020 à 13:32 +0300, Bonface M. K. a écrit :
>> I am that person ;)
>
> Please leave me your feedback on anything !

Cool. I'll do that over the weekend or early next week :)

--
Bonface M. K. (https://www.bonfacemunyoki.com)
One Divine Emacs To Rule Them All
GPG key = D4F09EB110177E03C28E2FE1F5BBAE1E0392253F

* Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-07-24  5:41   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-24  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

> From: Dmitry Alexandrov <dag@gnui.org>
> Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2020 03:06:53 +0300
> Cc: Guile User <guile-user@gnu.org>, Guix Help <help-guix@gnu.org>
>
> > ## Installation
>
> > ### On Windows
> >
> > No solution yet.
>
> Is that true?  Itʼs true (and a pity) that there no official packages, of course, but ‘no solution’?
>
> I vaguely recall, there was a Guile on MinGW a couple of years ago, does it no longer build?  And what happened with Cygwin package after all?  cygwin.com says, that 3.0.4 is there [1].

  https://sourceforge.net/projects/ezwinports/files/guile-2.0.11-2-w32-bin.zip/download

Mind you, this is a 32-bit build, and it is configured without threads
(because building with threads produces Guile that crashes for almost
any non-trivial operation, you can find the details in the Guile
mailing list archives).

I never tried to build a newer Guile, as doing a fully-functional
MinGW port is a non-trivial endeavor that consumes a lot of time, and
I don't have that time now.

<rant>
Sadly, Guile seems to care only about one OS: GNU/Linux, and more or
less disregard the rest.  Features are added that clearly cannot
easily work on other OSes, let alone non-Posix ones, and with each
such new feature producing a working MinGW port becomes harder and
harder, even for experienced hackers.

Please don't bother replying to this rant, it's just FYI, to convey my
personal recollections and experiences from doing the 2.0.x port, and
I don't intend to argue about it.
</rant>

* Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-07-24  6:47   ` divoplade
From: divoplade @ 2020-07-24  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov, Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
  Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

Hello,

Le vendredi 24 juillet 2020 à 03:06 +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov a écrit :
> Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski <jeremy@korwin-zmijowski.fr> wrote:
> > https://jeko.frama.io
> > ## Installation
> > ### On Windows
> >
> > No solution yet.
>
> Is that true?  Itʼs true (and a pity) that there no official
> packages, of course, but ‘no solution’?

From what I gathered, there are a few stupid problems with existing
patches to make guile build for mingw (
https://github.com/mkeeter/guile-mingw/), but there is the hard problem
that the garbage collector won't work on mingw x86_64 because it
expects that pointers can fit in longs.

Anyways, I say that if we can't have mingw x86_64, let's have i686 and
everyone will be happy enough. By the time i686 is insufficient,
Windows will already be another OS built around linux anyway (n.b. this
is a personal opinion ^^). But there is a chance I fundamentally
misunderstood something...

* Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-07-24  7:22     ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
       [not found]     ` <878sf9812f.fsf@gnu.org>
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2020-07-24  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Dmitry Alexandrov, guile-user, help-guix

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> <rant>
> Sadly, Guile seems to care only about one OS: GNU/Linux, and more or
> less disregard the rest.  Features are added that clearly cannot
> easily work on other OSes, let alone non-Posix ones, and with each
> such new feature producing a working MinGW port becomes harder and
> harder, even for experienced hackers.

This is one of the biggest worries I have with the time I put into
Guile: Many of my friends are still on Windows and in the current state
of Guile I won’t be able to create tools that help them.

Creating installers for Windows was bad with Python, it is much worse
with Guile. I wish I could just do something like
guild package --target windows -o my-program.exe entry-point.scm

This prevents people from using Guile for anything that might have to be
cross-platform (though the Lilypond folks got it working
https://lilypond.org/windows.de.html).

> Please don't bother replying to this rant, it's just FYI, to convey my
> personal recollections and experiences from doing the 2.0.x port, and
> I don't intend to argue about it.
> </rant>

I replied, because I did not intend to argue but rather support your
point. While Guile is easiest to use on GNU Linux, a Windows port is a
hard requirement if we want Guile to be useful as a platform for writing
programs. There is GTK for Windows and it would be nice if we could
actually script it from Guile:
https://www.gtk.org/docs/installations/windows/

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-07-24  9:32       ` Christopher Lam
From: Christopher Lam @ 2020-07-24  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: guile-user, help-guix

Ditto gnucash on windows does include guile 2.2 but it's a major pain point
to get it to build.

https://code.gnucash.org/logs/2020/07/16.html#T20:20:40

@ 2020-07-24 11:38   ` Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2020-07-24 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov; +Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

I just want to say that I use guile on windows regularly. And it was easy
peasy to enable it. The trick is to install the Linux subsystem for windows
10 and hack on. I know this is not always an option, just to remind you
where the future is.

@ 2020-07-24 11:50       ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2020-07-24 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Dmitry Alexandrov, guile-user, help-guix

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 09:22:54AM +0200, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

> This is one of the biggest worries I have with the time I put into
> Guile: Many of my friends are still on Windows and in the current state
> of Guile I won???t be able to create tools that help them.
>
> Creating installers for Windows was bad with Python, it is much worse
> with Guile. I wish I could just do something like
> guild package --target windows -o my-program.exe entry-point.scm
>
> This prevents people from using Guile for anything that might have to be
> cross-platform (though the Lilypond folks got it working
> https://lilypond.org/windows.de.html).

Yeah, I did put a 32-bit, no-thread Windows version of Guile-2.2 in
a game-jame game I did once, but, it was non-trivial.

For those that hanven't programmed on Windows much, it is a bit of a
struggle. The native tools are C++, not C, and the native API is just
different: different threading, different asyncs, similar but still
not identical sockets, different dynamic linking. No guarantee that
the sizeof(long) is sizeof(void *).

So different groups have created projects to help port or run legacy
UNIX-like software to Windows. The most familiar to free software people
are Cygwin and MinGW.

Cygwin: use gcc or clang, link to a special C and POSIX library that
handles the Windows API for you. This exists and works well for Guile.
Its emulation library is GPL, so to distribute a Cygwin app, it must
be GPL and must include a healthy chunk of the Cygwin infrastructure.

MinGW: use gcc or clang, link to native Windows API. Guile almost
supports this, because it uses Gnulib. Gnulib has a library of shims
that tweaks Windows C library API to be more POSIX-like, but, Gnulib
isn't a comprehensive solution.  When free software people talk of
a "port" to windows, they usualy mean that it is built with MinGW.

But, of course, MinGW had a spat years ago and now there are two
competing MinGW projects. Sigh.

Some projects go a step further and try to use the native windows
compilers and API, but, since autoconf basically won't work on Windows
because its shell language is not /bin/sh but is PowerShell or CMD,
this usually requires a different build system, like CMake or Meson.

Guile has both autoconf and gnulib, so MinGW is the semi-supported
path to a native Windows executable.

It actually would not be a lot of work to get a 32-bit, unthreaded
Guile 3.0 working again, assuming that lightening works for
Win32.  Just some run of the mill patching.  But historically
getting these patches in the main tree has been an awful experience
-- expecially in the Mark era -- because of arguments as to
whether they should be fixed in Guile or in Gnulib and having
to deal with both Guile and Gnulib having competing interests.

Thanks you for coming to my TED talk.

Regards
Mike Gran

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
       [not found]     ` <878sf9812f.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2020-07-24 14:20       ` Stefan Israelsson Tampe
From: Stefan Israelsson Tampe @ 2020-07-24 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guile User, Guix Help

I use guile all the time at my windows 10 machine at work (WSL) to handle
xml files. Used apt to get it.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> skribis:
>
> > <rant>
> > Sadly, Guile seems to care only about one OS: GNU/Linux, and more or
>
> Guile is software so it’s doesn’t care one way or the other ;-), but
> it’s true that the maintainers and probably most contributors are
> primarily concerned with GNU/Linux.
>
> However, my understanding is that Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has
> the potential to make all of us happy.  For example, here’s info from
> someone who got Guix to run on Windows/WSL2:
>
>   https://gist.github.com/giuliano108/49ec5bd0a9339db98535bc793ceb5ab4
>
> Running Guile alone should be easier.  Notably, I would expect a bundle
> created with ‘guix pack guile’ to Just Work on Windows.
>
> Does anyone have experience with that?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

* Re: Licensing of Cygwin comatibility layer (was: No Guile on Windows?)
@ 2020-07-24 16:25         ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-07-24 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Gran; +Cc: guile-user, Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, help-guix, Eli Zaretskii

Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Cygwin: use gcc or clang, link to a special C and POSIX library that handles the Windows API for you.
> Its emulation library is GPL[ed]

Really?  I was under impression, that it is under a _weakened_ variant of _Lesser_ GPL, i. e. its terms are even less restrictive that those of GNU libc.

> so to distribute a Cygwin app, it must be GPL[-compatible]

After all, Cygwin itself (just like any other GNU distro) have always distributed quite a few of GPL-incompatible software, so that statement does not look plausible at all.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
@ 2020-07-24 17:46         ` Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide @ 2020-07-24 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Israelsson Tampe; +Cc: Guix Help, guile-user

Stefan Israelsson Tampe <stefan.itampe@gmail.com> writes:

> I use guile all the time at my windows 10 machine at work (WSL) to handle
> xml files. Used apt to get it.

It’s great that that’s possible. If it requires people to first activate
WSL (so they cannot just start an application they get from me but have
to configure stuff first), I lose lots of users who would otherwise run
my application.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein
heißt politisch sein

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
       [not found]     ` <878sf9812f.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2020-07-24 17:47       ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-07-24 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> skribis:
>> <rant> Sadly, Guile seems to care only about one OS: GNU/Linux

> my understanding is that Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) has the potential to make all of us happy.

Itʼs the most disappointing thing to hear from a Guile maintainer.

> For example, here’s info from someone who got Guix to run on Windows/WSL2:

Contrary to WSL1, which was rather a misnomer for an alternative ABI-compatible implementation of Linux® on top of Windowsʼ kernel, WSL2 fully justifies its name: itʼs subsystem _for_ running Linux in it.

In other words, what youʼve just said is: Guile does not need to support Windows, because you can always run GNU/Linux in a virtual machine.

Iʼm afraid, such an attitude, if Guile is staking claim for being something more than a DSL for defining distro packages, is a decade premature at best.

> Running Guile alone should be easier.  Notably, I would expect a bundle created with ‘guix pack guile’ to Just Work on Windows.
>
> Does anyone have experience with that?

I do not, but do not see any reason why it should not.  If Guix pack would fail to run on Ubuntu, because it is running on emulated hardware, it would mean that Guix is really broken.  And we know, that itʼs not.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
       [not found]     ` <878sf9812f.fsf@gnu.org>
@ 2020-07-24 18:41       ` Jan Wielkiewicz
From: Jan Wielkiewicz @ 2020-07-24 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

Hello,

Dnia 2020-07-24, o godz. 16:00:56
Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> napisał(a):

> However, my understanding is that Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)
> has the potential to make all of us happy.

This is fine as far as we're talking about proprietary Windows, but
this isn't good for software freedom generally - there's ReactOS
(https://reactos.org/) - a free Windows clone that is about to reach
beta stage. It is unlikely they're going to implement WSL there and
therefore Guile will be not usable on this platform. This could
potentially stop Guile users on Windows from switching to ReactOS.
If Guile were running natively on Windows, it would only benefit free
software - more Guile users, more people being interested in Guix and
more people switching to free alternatives.

If no current Guile maintainer is interested in porting it to Windows,
we could at least let people know we're looking for someone who does.
It could be a GSoC proposal, Outreachy something, etc.

Jan Wielkiewicz

* Re: Licensing of Cygwin comatibility layer (was: No Guile on Windows?)
@ 2020-07-24 23:33           ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2020-07-24 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Alexandrov
  Cc: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide, Eli Zaretskii, guile-user, help-guix

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 07:25:07PM +0300, Dmitry Alexandrov wrote:
> Mike Gran <spk121@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Cygwin: use gcc or clang, link to a special C and POSIX library that handles the Windows API for you.
> > Its emulation library is GPL[ed]
>
> Really?  I was under impression, that it is under a _weakened_ variant of _Lesser_ GPL, i. e. its terms are even less restrictive that those of GNU libc.
>
> > so to distribute a Cygwin app, it must be GPL[-compatible]
>
> After all, Cygwin itself (just like any other GNU distro) have always distributed quite a few of GPL-incompatible software, so that statement does not look plausible at all.

You are correct. I misread this page  https://cygwin.com/licensing.html

Apologies.

-Mike Gran

@ 2020-07-25  3:48     ` David Pirotte
From: David Pirotte @ 2020-07-25  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Dmitry Alexandrov, guile-user, help-guix

Hello,

> > > ### On Windows
> > > No solution yet.

fwiw, i've used msys2 (not so much anymore, but i still would if i had
to ...), easy to install, update, well maintained, very friendly on irc
when i needed to ask for help ...:

	https://www.msys2.org/

it has guile-2.2.7-1, threaded (which I've used. it works ...)

	https://packages.msys2.org/base/guile

for me, it was fantastic _not to have to deal_ with ouindoze on
ouindoze, so msys2, its numerous packages ... and guile-2.2.7-1
'saved my life' :)

	dowload the lastest msys2
	double-click -> linux terminal
	use pacman (*) to update and install new packages

David

	** Update

	pacman -Syu
	pacman -Su

	** Packages

	pacman -S emacs
	pacman -S guile
	pacman -S libguile
	pacman -S libguile-devel

* Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-07-25  6:31       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-25  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: dag, guile-user, help-guix

> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 00:48:35 -0300
> From: David Pirotte <david@altosw.be>
> Cc: Dmitry Alexandrov <dag@gnui.org>, guile-user@gnu.org, help-guix@gnu.org
>
> fwiw, i've used msys2 (not so much anymore, but i still would if i had
> to ...), easy to install, update, well maintained, very friendly on irc
> when i needed to ask for help ...:
>
> 	https://www.msys2.org/
>
> it has guile-2.2.7-1, threaded (which I've used. it works ...)

AFAIU, that's not a native Windows port, that's an MSYS2 port, which
is almost the same as a Cygwin build (MSYS2 is a fork of Cygwin).

IOW, you cannot link the MSYS2 libguile with a native MinGW program,
such as GDB or Gnu Make (or Lilypond, or any other application
mentioned in this thread).  Right?

* Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-07-25 13:56         ` Christopher Lam
From: Christopher Lam @ 2020-07-25 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

Gnucash 4.0 in windows is successfully using libguile-2.2-1.dll from MSYS2.

@ 2020-07-25 14:28           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-25 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lam; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix

> From: Christopher Lam <christopher.lck@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2020 13:56:28 +0000
> Cc: guile-user <guile-user@gnu.org>, help-guix@gnu.org
>
> Gnucash 4.0 in windows is successfully using libguile-2.2-1.dll from MSYS2.

Is Gnucash a MinGW build or an MSYS2 build?  If the latter, it's
expected.

* Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-07-25 16:33       ` Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski
From: Jérémy Korwin-Zmijowski @ 2020-07-25 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guile-user, David Pirotte, Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Dmitry Alexandrov, help-guix

Never heard about it.

I will try it and maybe update the Windows section ;-)

Thank you David

Jérémy

@ 2020-07-25 16:49         ` Mike Gran
From: Mike Gran @ 2020-07-25 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: David Pirotte, dag, guile-user, help-guix

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 09:31:41AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > fwiw, i've used msys2 (not so much anymore, but i still would if i had
> > to ...), easy to install, update, well maintained, very friendly on irc
> > when i needed to ask for help ...:
> >
> > 	https://www.msys2.org/
> >
> > it has guile-2.2.7-1, threaded (which I've used. it works ...)
>
> AFAIU, that's not a native Windows port, that's an MSYS2 port, which
> is almost the same as a Cygwin build (MSYS2 is a fork of Cygwin).
>
> IOW, you cannot link the MSYS2 libguile with a native MinGW program,
> such as GDB or Gnu Make (or Lilypond, or any other application
> mentioned in this thread).  Right?

That is correct. When you try to build windows application in the
MinGW project, often times you need to run a configure script that may
require tools that don't have native windows versions. The way MinGW
helps these configure scripts run is by taking advantage of the the
MSYS2 environment -- which is similar to Cygwin -- so that has enough
tools to run a configure script.  It includes a version of Guile for
the purpose of running configure.

Like Cygwin, MSYS2 also has a big library that emulates POSIX that
everything links to.  The difference betwen MSYS2 and MinGW is that
MinGW apps try to link directly to windows libraries without linking
to an emulation library.

-Mike Gran

* Re: No Guile on Windows?
@ 2020-07-25 21:38       ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-07-25 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Pirotte; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, help-guix, guile-user

David Pirotte <david@altosw.be> wrote:
> msys2
> has guile-2.2.7-1

> well maintained
> very friendly on irc

Appended with fact that MSYS2 is a fork of Cygwin, which has 3.0.4, these looks like an invitation to go to IRC and inquire about issues that made them stick with the legacy branch...

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: No Guile on Windows? (was: My Guile Hacker Handbook)
@ 2020-07-28  2:52             ` Christopher Lam
From: Christopher Lam @ 2020-07-28  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: guile-user, help-guix, guile-devel

My mistake: gnucash uses MinGW-w64.

The gnucash lead developer has a few patches to successfully compile guile
on MinGW-w64. It would be great if these patches were taken upstream and a
CI pipeline enabled for testing. Otherwise gnucash for windows will always
need to catch up, and is at severe risk of falling behind.

https://github.com/jralls/guile