unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Import package and generate use-module
@ 2021-04-24  9:26 phodina via
From: phodina via @ 2021-04-24  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

I'm making a package for octoprint which is imported from PyPI. guix import -r octoprint generates the template to build the package.

However, I'm missing the :#use-module ... in order to build the package when I add (define-module (python-octoprint). Given the fact there are tens of inputs doing it manually seems tedious and writing a script to parse the package definition seems like reinventing the wheel as I'm certainly not the first person to run into this issue.

So is there a way to automate also this part?

Let me give you context:If I look at Guix package repository gnu/packages/python-xyz.scm I see there definitions of packages:

(define-public python-numpy
  (package
    (name "python-numpy")

If I have another package that depends on python-numpy I just provide the name in e.g. inputs and I don't have to import it with #:use-module within this file.

However, when I run guix import pypi PKG I get package definition and when I run guix build -f python-octoprint.scm I get this error:

/tmp/python-octoprint.scm:275:6: In procedure propagated-inputs:
error: python-flask: unbound variable
hint: Did you forget `(use-modules (gnu packages python-web))'?

Of course writing down all the unbound variables by hand is tedious and error-prone. And since guix gives a hint is there a way to write the dependency into the file?

And the question in general is: When I find out that the program is not packaged and I want to write the package definition and then verify it installs and runs correctly, what steps should I take?

guix pull pypi PKG > PKG.scm
# Add 'define-module'
??
guix build -f PKG.scm

Note: Doesn't matter if it's python or rust program. I'm interested in the workflow

Kind regards
Petr Hodina