unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Entering the sudo password before guix pull when updating the system
@ 2024-08-19 18:03 Oleander via
From: Oleander via @ 2024-08-19 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

How can I enter the sudo password before `guix pull` runs when updating with `guix pull && sudo guix system reconfigure config.scm`?

`sudo sh -c "su -c 'guix pull' $USER && guix system reconfigure config.scm"` returns:

"hint: After setting PATH, run hash guix to make sure your shell refers to /home/user/.config/guix/current/bin/guix"

Thank you!

* Re: Entering the sudo password before guix pull when updating the system
@ 2024-08-19 18:16 ` Oleander via
From: Oleander via @ 2024-08-19 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

ps: without running guix pull with root privileges.

@ 2024-08-19 22:57 ` Ian Eure
From: Ian Eure @ 2024-08-19 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleander; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Oleander,

Oleander via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> How can I enter the sudo password before `guix pull` runs when
> updating with `guix pull && sudo guix system reconfigure
> config.scm`?

I don’t believe there’s a reasonable way to do what you want.  I
think your best option is to configure your sudoers file so your
user is allowed to run `guix system reconfigure' command without
needing a password.  See the sudoers(5) man page and
`sudoers-file' field of the operating-system record.

Thanks,

  — Ian

* Re: Entering the sudo password before guix pull when updating the system
@ 2024-08-20 10:38   ` Marek Paśnikowski
From: Marek Paśnikowski @ 2024-08-20 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Ian Eure <ian@retrospec.tv> writes:

> Hi Oleander,
>
> Oleander via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> How can I enter the sudo password before `guix pull` runs when updating with `guix pull && sudo
>> guix system reconfigure config.scm`?
>>

> I don’t believe there’s a reasonable way to do what you want.  I think your best option is to
> configure your sudoers file so your user is allowed to run `guix system reconfigure' command without
> needing a password.  See the sudoers(5) man page and `sudoers-file' field of the operating-system
> record.
>
> Thanks,
>
>  — Ian

Good to know that Ian, thank you.

My personal approach is to remove the password prompt timeout ↓ in the
sudoers-file and just have the command chain wait for the password when
done pulling.  Not time-efficient at all, but completely effortless for
me.

(define-module (suweren commons sudoers)
  #:use-module (guix gexp))

(define-public %sudoers-specification*
  (let ((content (string-append "root ALL=(ALL) ALL \n"
				"%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL \n"
				"Defaults passwd_timeout=0 \n")))
    (plain-file "sudoers" content)))

* Re: Entering the sudo password before guix pull when updating the, system
       [not found] <mailman.7266.1724149549.21382.help-guix@gnu.org>
@ 2024-08-20 11:30 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2024-08-20 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7059548; +Cc: help-guix, help-guix-request

 > How can I enter the sudo password before `guix pull` runs when updating with
`guix pull && sudo guix system reconfigure config.scm`?

 > `sudo sh -c "su -c 'guix pull' $USER && guix system reconfigure config.scm"`
returns:

 > "hint: After setting PATH, run hash guix to make sure your shell refers to
/home/user/.config/guix/current/bin/guix"

 > Thank you!

Hi!

In the past I learned, that when updating the guix system, I have to use:

~~~~
sudo -i
~~~~

And then run the guix commands. Otherwise guix still has/sees environment
variables from my user shell/profile/environment and that can mess up Guix. So I
want to share that bit of info with you. Hope it helps, even if not directly
related to your question.

Best wishes,
Zelphir

--
repositories:https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl,https://codeberg.org/ZelphirKaltstahl

* Re: Entering the sudo password before guix pull when updating the, system
@ 2024-08-20 17:44   ` Oleander via
From: Oleander via @ 2024-08-20 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zelphirkaltstahl; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Zelphir!

with `sudo -i` I get the same hint.

@ 2024-08-20 20:13     ` Marek Paśnikowski
From: Marek Paśnikowski @ 2024-08-20 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Oleander via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi Zelphir!
>
> with `sudo -i` I get the same hint.

Oleander, sudo -i only applies when you perform administration as the
root user.  The typical administration is done by the user in the group
wheel, which means using sudo without the -i switch.