unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Web Browsers Report being "Unable to Connect" after Wi-Fi Connection Drop Period
@ 2022-05-23 19:34 Wamm K. D.
From: Wamm K. D. @ 2022-05-23 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I think it's happened most often with IceCat but pretty much every
browser I've tried has done this.

I'm not sure the cause but my Wi-Fi card drops the connection, /really/
often; it sucks but it's what I've got.

The consequence is that I've noticed a particular behavior relatively
frequently: when the connection drops, the browser I'm using will get
stuck thinking that it cannot connect to the internet once the internet
connection comes back, sometimes (especially if I tried to load a page
while the internet connection was down). Trying to load any other page
results in the "Unable to Connect" (or equivalent) page.

I've tried IceCat, Ungoogled Chromium, Qutebrowser, Luakit, and Nyxt and
had the same experience, in some capacity, with all of them.

have to wait a variable length of time before the spell passes or
restart the browser.

It doesn't seem to be something which impacts all browsers, at the same
time: opening a new browser after one gets affected works fine or trying
to use one of the other browsers I had open (especially if I hadn't been
using this other browser while the internet connection had dropped).

* Re: Web Browsers Report being "Unable to Connect" after Wi-Fi Connection Drop Period
@ 2022-05-23 20:04 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2022-05-23 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wamm K. D.; +Cc: help-guix

Hi

> I think it's happened most often with IceCat but pretty much every
> browser I've tried has done this.
>
> I'm not sure the cause but my Wi-Fi card drops the connection, /really/
> often; it sucks but it's what I've got.
>
> The consequence is that I've noticed a particular behavior relatively
> frequently: when the connection drops, the browser I'm using will get
> stuck thinking that it cannot connect to the internet once the internet
> connection comes back, sometimes (especially if I tried to load a page
> while the internet connection was down). Trying to load any other page
> results in the "Unable to Connect" (or equivalent) page.
>
> I've tried IceCat, Ungoogled Chromium, Qutebrowser, Luakit, and Nyxt and
> had the same experience, in some capacity, with all of them.

> have to wait a variable length of time before the spell passes or
> restart the browser.
>
> It doesn't seem to be something which impacts all browsers, at the same
> time: opening a new browser after one gets affected works fine or trying
> to use one of the other browsers I had open (especially if I hadn't been
> using this other browser while the internet connection had dropped).

That's have been my experience with Icecat in the past and I think others
have mentioned this in the past too. I don't know where it comes from,
or if I still have the same issue, as my wifi is pretty stable nowadays.

I'm sure more people have experienced this. It's something we should fix
soonish.

Ideas anyone?

* Re: Web Browsers Report being "Unable to Connect" after Wi-Fi Connection Drop Period
@ 2022-05-23 20:07 ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2022-05-23 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wamm K. D.; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, 23 May 2022 14:34:34 -0500
"Wamm K. D." <jaft.r@outlook.com> wrote:

> I think it's happened most often with IceCat but pretty much every
> browser I've tried has done this.
>
> I'm not sure the cause but my Wi-Fi card drops the connection,
> /really/ often; it sucks but it's what I've got.
>
> The consequence is that I've noticed a particular behavior relatively
> frequently: when the connection drops, the browser I'm using will get
> stuck thinking that it cannot connect to the internet once the
> internet connection comes back, sometimes (especially if I tried to
> load a page while the internet connection was down). Trying to load
> any other page results in the "Unable to Connect" (or equivalent)
> page.
>
> I've tried IceCat, Ungoogled Chromium, Qutebrowser, Luakit, and Nyxt
> and had the same experience, in some capacity, with all of them.

> either have to wait a variable length of time before the spell passes
> or restart the browser.
>
> It doesn't seem to be something which impacts all browsers, at the
> same time: opening a new browser after one gets affected works fine
> or trying to use one of the other browsers I had open (especially if
> I hadn't been using this other browser while the internet connection
> had dropped).

I remember seeing similar behaviour with Firefox on Arch, so it may not
be Guix-specific.
Also I think it's been reported earlier but since the search interfaces
for the mailing lists kind of suck, it wouldn't be surprising if you
didn't find it.

* Re: Web Browsers Report being "Unable to Connect" after Wi-Fi Connection Drop Period
@ 2022-05-23 21:09 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-05-23 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wamm K. D.; +Cc: help-guix

"Wamm K. D." <jaft.r@outlook.com> writes:

> The consequence is that I've noticed a particular behavior relatively
> frequently: when the connection drops, the browser I'm using will get
> stuck thinking that it cannot connect to the internet once the internet
> connection comes back, sometimes (especially if I tried to load a page
> while the internet connection was down). Trying to load any other page
> results in the "Unable to Connect" (or equivalent) page.

When this happens again, please visit “about:networking#dns” and clear
the DNS cache.  Maybe this helps.

On Guix System there’s also nscd, which has its own cache.  It’s
possible that a lookup failure is cached there as well.  To clear the
nscd cache use “sudo herd invalidate nscd”.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Web Browsers Report being "Unable to Connect" after Wi-Fi Connection Drop Period
@ 2022-05-23 21:45   ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2022-05-23 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Wamm K. D., help-guix

On Mon, 23 May 2022 23:09:35 +0200
Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> "Wamm K. D." <jaft.r@outlook.com> writes:
>
> > The consequence is that I've noticed a particular behavior
> > relatively frequently: when the connection drops, the browser I'm
> > using will get stuck thinking that it cannot connect to the
> > internet once the internet connection comes back, sometimes
> > (especially if I tried to load a page while the internet connection
> > was down). Trying to load any other page results in the "Unable to
> > Connect" (or equivalent) page.
>
> When this happens again, please visit “about:networking#dns” and clear
> the DNS cache.  Maybe this helps.
>
> On Guix System there’s also nscd, which has its own cache.  It’s
> possible that a lookup failure is cached there as well.  To clear the
> nscd cache use “sudo herd invalidate nscd”.

Wouldn't newly opened sites on different domain not be affected by the
cache? When this happens with me IceCat simply does not open
*anything*. Entirely fresh lookups fail.
But I guess just testing the cache clearing solution could easily prove
or disprove the theory. If it really is DNS cache related, then
someone should probably write a bug report upstream.

* Re: Web Browsers Report being "Unable to Connect" after Wi-Fi Connection Drop Period
@ 2022-05-24  5:49     ` Wamm K. D.
From: Wamm K. D. @ 2022-05-24  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

On Mon. (May 23, 2022) at 11:45:00 PM +02, raingloom <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2022 23:09:35 +0200
> Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>
>> "Wamm K. D." <jaft.r@outlook.com> writes:
>>
>> > The consequence is that I've noticed a particular behavior
>> > relatively frequently: when the connection drops, the browser I'm
>> > using will get stuck thinking that it cannot connect to the
>> > internet once the internet connection comes back, sometimes
>> > (especially if I tried to load a page while the internet connection
>> > was down). Trying to load any other page results in the "Unable to
>> > Connect" (or equivalent) page.
>>
>> When this happens again, please visit “about:networking#dns” and clear
>> the DNS cache.  Maybe this helps.
>>
>> On Guix System there’s also nscd, which has its own cache.  It’s
>> possible that a lookup failure is cached there as well.  To clear the
>> nscd cache use “sudo herd invalidate nscd”.
>>

> Wouldn't newly opened sites on different domain not be affected by the
> cache? When this happens with me IceCat simply does not open
> *anything*. Entirely fresh lookups fail.
> But I guess just testing the cache clearing solution could easily prove
> or disprove the theory. If it really is DNS cache related, then
> someone should probably write a bug report upstream.

Welp; I'd really hoped we had a working workaround but no change,
unfortunately, even with both cleared. I just ran into it, again (hence
being able to test); gonna have to wait this one out.