unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de>
To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>, help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: More HP AIO scanning woes
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 17:58:20 +0000	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 2676 bytes --]

Hi T G-R,

for Your information:

Because I can't scan in Guix at the moment,
I had to install a second distro called "GNUinOS"

I installed also the MATE desktop and hplip and
you can see an icon of "HP"

Additionally there are icons in the programm menu

I made 4 fotos that you can see in case I klick on the icon hp,

Kind regards

Gottfried

Am 13.08.22 um 15:38 schrieb Tobias Geerinckx-Rice:
> Hi Gottfried!
>
> Gottfried 写道:
>> "hplip" doesn't appear anywhere, so I can't open it and to choose a
>> scanner.
>
> I probably can't fix your problem, but note that packages don't
> necessarily install a command named after them, or an ‘icon’ (as you
> mentioned in a previous mail).  Only a tiny fraction of all packages do
> both.
>
> There is no ‘hplip’ command or programme; don't wast time looking for one.
>
> The hplip package does provide several small tools, none of them named
> hplip, of which two look relevant:
>
> - hp-scan, which throws an error message here because I don't have  a
> supported device;
> - hp-uiscan, which also throws an error, but it's ~graphical~ (so  it
> might be a better tool for you—if it works!)
>
> There are many other hp-* commands that you can see by typing ‘hp-’<TAB>
> at a shell prompt.
>
> However.
>
> Expect a number of these tools not to work properly.  For example, they
> might look for files in the wrong place or try to write to the store,
> simply because they've never been tested.  It is quite possible that you
> are the first to ever try using them with the intended hardware.  You'll
> have to see, and report any errors you get, and *perhaps* we can help
> fix them.
>
> The joys of using a tiny distribution: sometimes you really are the
> first person to try something :-)
>
>> Probably no Guixer has a HP printer/scanner all in one,
>> so nobody was able to help me.
>
> Very possible.  I don't.
>
>> Or any other problem that hplip doesn't appear in my MATE Desktop.
>
> See above; I think you're expecting something to happen that won't.
> We'd need to add .desktop files for that to happen, but that would
> require actually testing the tools to make sure they are useful (IMO).
>
> Maybe we should have ‘I own XXX hardware’ teams…
>
> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R

Why is HTML email a security nightmare? See https://useplaintext.email/

Please avoid sending me MS-Office attachments.