unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Process of adding a package
@ 2021-05-10  9:43 Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2021-05-10  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Guix Users!

I have questions regarding the sending of patches and associated process of
releasing a package via GNU Guix:

What is the usual process, after one has sent in a patch adding a new package to
GNU Guix?

The background of the question is, that approximately 2 months ago, I sent in a
patch adding `guile-fslib`, but I don't know how long I should expect it to
take, until I can `guile pull` and `guix install <my newly added package>`.
Should I be worried, that it is not yet available? Did I do something wrong? Or
does it simply take some time, because someone needs to read the code of the
package I added, to verify, that nothing nefarious is going on?

Meanwhile I am using a git submodule instead, to use my library in my own
project and change the load path when starting my application, so that Guile
picks up the additional library. It would be great to be able to install it via
GNU Guix instead, avoiding the submodule thing completely.

Another, probably related question: When the package has been added, what is the
process behind updating the package? I send in a patch and then what happens? Is
it immediately updated, once some CI tests ran?

Best regards,
Zelphir

--
repositories: https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl