unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Ben Woodcroft <b.woodcroft@uq.edu.au>
To: "Björn Höfling" <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de>,
	Guix-Help <help-guix@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Help with Ruby: rouge 2.0.7
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 22:14:06 +1000	[thread overview]

Hello there,

On 15/03/17 08:08, Björn Höfling wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to import the Ruby package 'rouge' 2.0.7 into Guix. I'm new to
> Ruby, Gem, Rake, etc. and tried the importer with some success. Maybe
> someone with more Ruby experience can tell me what's the right way here?
>
> OK, I thought this is an easy one, because it has no dependencies:
Unfortunately, as you found, often the dependencies needed for testing
are sometimes not listed at rubygems.org, since it is not common for
tests to be run as part of the "gem install" installation process.

> https://rubygems.org/gems/rouge/versions/2.0.7
>
> I started with:
>
> guix import gem rouge > rouge.scm
>
> Then added some import headers in the file and tried to build it with
> [..]
> /gnu/store/6ks5gf4088qd23hac1cbd14aml6h1pgw-bundler-1.14.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/bundler-1.14.5/lib/bundler/resolver.rb:386:in
> `block in verify_gemfile_dependencies_are_found!': Could not find gem
> 'wrong' in any of the gem sources listed in your Gemfile.
> (Bundler::GemNotFound)
> from /gnu/store/6ks5gf4088qd23hac1cbd14aml6h1pgw-bundler-1.14.5/lib/ruby/gems/2.3.0/gems/bundler-1.14.5/lib/bundler/resolver.rb:356:in
> `each'
> [..]
>
> Does that mean that I have to install
> 'wrong' (https://rubygems.org/gems/wrong) that itself has 5
> dependencies, 4 are not in Guix?
That seems to be the case, unfortunately. There also seems to be some
other gems in the Gemfile which aren't yet packaged for Guix. There are
also a number of packages in the wip-rails branch on savannah which
might be of use - these aren't quite ready yet but if there was interest
I could finish them off.

If the number of packages needed gets too large, then there may be a
case for not running the tests in some packages.

Good luck.
ben.