unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Bug? Haskell GHC wont' work since ghc@8.6?
@ 2021-01-11  6:18 John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2021-01-11  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yasu; +Cc: Bug Guix, Help Guix

Hi yasu,

This question comes up on the mailing list every so often, but I don’t think it is a bug. I want to be able to choose the c toolchain ghc uses myself. I would rather introduce some Haskell specific documentation.

We discussed during the guix day that we would love to have some language specific setup documentation. I had issues like this in mind.

- John

[-- Attachment #2: face-smile.png --]
[-- Type: image/PNG, Size: 871 bytes --]

* Bug? Haskell GHC wont' work since ghc@8.6?
@ 2021-01-11  5:47 yasu
From: yasu @ 2021-01-11  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix, Bug Guix

This one ought to be very simple to solve (or at least confirm).   Does
anyone use Haskell daily?

I am a very casual user of Haskell (GHC) and when I tried to compile
something just now, I noticed that it can't even compile the simplest
possible program..., unless I downgrade to ghc@8.4 or lower. Newer
versions, including ghc@8.6.5, didn't work, throwing the error message
below instead.

~/co/haskell-tiny-intro/exercise (master *)$ cat a.hs
main = putStrLn "a"

~/co/haskell-tiny-intro/exercise (master *)$ ghc a.hs
Linking a ...
.gcc-wrapped: error: unrecognized command line option '-no-pie'
`gcc' failed in phase `C Compiler'. (Exit code: 1)

Cheers,
Yasu