Le dimanche 26 décembre 2021 à 23:41 -0600, Matthew Brooks a écrit : > Is there any way to avoid rebuilding stuff like mariadb, the entire > Rust chain, etc. unless one of those packages *actually* changes? It > seems like every few days every single package needs to rebuild for > some reason, including many packages that spend unbelievably long > times running tests that will never actually be of use to me, so I'm > usually only able to update every couple of weeks since so much > constantly needs to be rebuilt and everything takes so long. > I don't have a solution, just similar experience but with a different setup. I use Guix on Trisquel on my X200, I have substitues enabled, my installed packages are glibc-locales, fontconfig, font-adobe-source- han-sans, gajim, gajim-omemo, gajim-openpgp, nheko, syncthing, darktable, and ungoogled-chromium. Often, "guix pull" and "guix package update" take between 1h and 2h. This is not due to the download time. Apparently, even with substitues, some CPU-heavy work is needed. > It seems to have gotten worse over time as well, as more and more > base packages pull in extremely computation-hungry dependency chains. > At this very moment, for example, I'm waiting for Rust & co. to > compile simply to delete old system generations from the bootloader. > I started "guix package -u" about 40h ago, it has been on ungoogled- chromium-96.0.4664.110-1.drv for more than 30h now and it is not finished. For a long time, both cores of the CPU have been at 100% load. Now, it is much lower and I see a lot of disk activity but still working. During the whole time, I have almost not used the computer at all. I will have to travel in two hours and I need to switch my laptop off first. If the update is not finished, I will stop the process. I guess I will remove ungoogled chromium as well.