unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* guix pull: error: Git error: invalid content-type: 'text/plain'
@ 2020-09-14 20:01 divoplade
From: divoplade @ 2020-09-14 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello guix,

I have set up a few packages of mine at
https://divoplade.fr/divoplade-site.git

If you clone it, it works:

git clone https://divoplade.fr/divoplade-site.git

But if I add this URL as a guix channel, I get:

guix pull: error: Git error: invalid content-type: 'text/plain'

This is the first time I get this error, as far as I remember. How do I
get this to work?

Best regards

divoplade

* Re: guix pull: error: Git error: invalid content-type: 'text/plain'
@ 2020-09-14 20:12 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-09-14 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: divoplade; +Cc: help-guix

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 10:01:06PM +0200, divoplade wrote:
> Hello guix,
>
> I have set up a few packages of mine at
> https://divoplade.fr/divoplade-site.git
>
> If you clone it, it works:
>
> git clone https://divoplade.fr/divoplade-site.git
>
> But if I add this URL as a guix channel, I get:
>
> guix pull: error: Git error: invalid content-type: 'text/plain'
>
> This is the first time I get this error, as far as I remember. How do I
> get this to work?
>
> Best regards
>
> divoplade

It looks like it's trying to fetch the website itself when it gets added
to a channel. Strange, since cloning the URL works.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix pull: error: Git error: invalid content-type: 'text/plain'
@ 2020-09-15  7:08 ` Jelle Licht
From: Jelle Licht @ 2020-09-15  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: divoplade, help-guix

divoplade <d@divoplade.fr> writes:

> Hello guix,
>
> I have set up a few packages of mine at
> https://divoplade.fr/divoplade-site.git
>
> If you clone it, it works:
>
> git clone https://divoplade.fr/divoplade-site.git
>
> But if I add this URL as a guix channel, I get:
>
> guix pull: error: Git error: invalid content-type: 'text/plain'

I know this error! I had it happen to me way back when libgit tries to
work with a remote that exposes the older http-based git protocol. AFAIK
(but this was some time ago) libgit does not support this.

See [0] for a explanation on which protocols are supported. Perhaps you
can try to use of the other protocols to see if that helps you? YMMV, of
course :-).

- Jelle

[0] https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-on-the-Server-The-Protocols#_the_protocols

* Re: guix pull: error: Git error: invalid content-type: 'text/plain'
@ 2020-09-15 17:28   ` divoplade
From: divoplade @ 2020-09-15 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jelle Licht, help-guix

Hello,

Le mardi 15 septembre 2020 à 09:08 +0200, Jelle Licht a écrit :
> I know this error! I had it happen to me way back when libgit tries
> work with a remote that exposes the older http-based git protocol.
> AFAIK
> (but this was some time ago) libgit does not support this.

It is weird that guix using libgit cannot do what git does. Maybe git
does not use libgit?

> See [0] for a explanation on which protocols are supported. Perhaps
> you
> can try to use of the other protocols to see if that helps you? YMMV,
> of
> course :-).
>
> - Jelle
>
> [0]
> https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-on-the-Server-The-Protocols#_the_protocols

Thank you for that pointer.

There does not seem to be a good solution outside of what I have. The
"newer" version (with a more modern CGI-based technology stack!) is
much more complex to set up.

Perhaps the smartest thing for me to do would be to install the cgit
guix service
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Version-Control-Services.html.

Best regards,

divoplade