unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: samuel@thewilley.family
To: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Guix Shepherd Service Help
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 09:23:32 -0600	[thread overview]

Hello, I'm new to Guix (About five or so days?), right now I'm
attempting to make a service for udevmon (interception-tools) so that I
can use caps2esc (I've already defined that package in my channel) so
that I don't get Emacs pinky 😄. However, I'm running into one issue... I
can get the service to launch the program, even with parameters, but it
seems that even hard-coded paths don't work inside of the configuration
yaml.

Service file:
https://github.com/chubbymomo/momo-channel/blob/main/momo/services/udevmon.scm

Relevant snippet of log: 2024-01-18 20:50:47 an exception occurred:
"exec failed for devnode /dev/input/event10, job
"/run/current-system/profile/bin/intercept -g $DEVNODE |
/run/current-system/profile/bin/caps2esc |
/run/current-system/profile/bin/uinput -d $DEVNODE" with error "No such
file or directory""

Any help would be nice, I've been smashing my head into the wall for a
few days as I feel this is required for my usage of Emacs. I'm not sure
why anyone would want this, but the relevant channels.scm snippet will
be in the readme.md of the same repository. I'm not entirely sure why it
doesn't work, running the command by hand using sudo just works. Would
somehow "dynamically" creating the yaml with path included work? I would
prefer if there could be preservation of using a yaml that isn't
statically generated.