unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Which dns server my system is using?
@ 2020-11-23 16:40 znavko--- via
From: znavko--- via @ 2020-11-23 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi, Guix! Congratulations for 1.2.0!

I want to discover which dns server is using in my PC under Guix?
I have nothing in /etc/resolv.conf:

# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.1.1

I use dhcp-client and connect to the network through wifi usb stick.
The services section in my config is like this:
 (services (cons*
 ;; xfce4 desktop, dhcp-client, slim
 (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
 (service dhcp-client-service-type)
 (service slim-service-type)

 (modify-services
 ;; removing unnecessary services
 (remove (lambda (service)
 (member (service-kind service)
 (list ntp-service-type avahi-service-type
 bluetooth-service network-manager-service-type
 gdm-service-type)))
 %desktop-services) ;end of remove lambda services

 ;; wpa_supplicant + dhcp-client (above) instead of networkmanager
 (wpa-supplicant-service-type config =>
 (wpa-supplicant-configuration
 (interface "wlp0s20f0u1")
 (config-file "/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf")))

 ) ;;end of modify-services
 )) ;;end of services

 ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
 (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)
Please, how to dig up which dns-server my system uses?

* Re: Which dns server my system is using?
@ 2020-11-23 17:19 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-11-23 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

Hi znavko,

znavko--- via 写道:
> I want to discover which dns server is using in my PC under
> Guix?
> I have nothing in /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 192.168.1.1

I don't understand what you mean by ‘nothing’ above.  Is this cat
an example of what you expected to see but didn't?

Otherwise it would seems that the DNS server that your system is
using is 192.168.1.1, your friendly modem/router/gateway.  Is that
not correct?

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Which dns server my system is using?
@ 2020-11-23 17:41 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2020-11-23 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

Yes, Tobias, I thought that 192.168.1.1 is just my modem
and as far as my modem is not a DNS server I still
keep digging.
Does this mean I use those DNS servers my Internet provider uses?

I often cannot access websites that Roskomnadzor had banned, even when I use VPN.
The using of TOR let me access any website, but it works slower.

I also heard about DNSmasq that hides my dns requests from my provider.
But DNSmask runs quickly and easy only with NetworkManager that I cannot stand for.
I use wpa-supplicant + dhcp-client without Networkmanager, and I did not find instructions for configuring DNSmasq for such environment.

Can I use another DNS server? and may be I will be able to access those sites RKN banned,
for example realmusic.ru

I think we Russian are so hardly punishing with such a work of RKN.

@ 2020-11-23 18:00 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2020-11-23 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko, help-guix

Le 23 novembre 2020 11:40:05 GMT-05:00, znavko--- via <help-guix@gnu.org> a écrit :
>Hi, Guix! Congratulations for 1.2.0!
>
>I want to discover which dns server is using in my PC under Guix?
>I have nothing in /etc/resolv.conf:
>
># cat /etc/resolv.conf
>nameserver 192.168.1.1

Well, that's not nothing, is it?

As indicated here, your current nameserver (= DNS resolver) is 192.168.1.1, which is also probably your router. Using DHCP, it advertises itself as a nameserver and your computer uses it.

Usually, these are simply stub resolvers, that simply forward your requests to your ISP, which has a proper recursive resolver. You have to take a look at you're router's configuration to learn more about that; nothing guix can do about it.

You could change your settings by using the static-networking service, or by manually changing your connexion details in network-manager, I suppose.

* Re: Which dns server my system is using?
@ 2020-11-23 18:19   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-11-23 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

znavko@disroot.org 写道:
> Yes, Tobias, I thought that 192.168.1.1 is just my modem
> and as far as my modem is not a DNS server I still
> keep digging.

Are you sure?  Most home routers do include their own DNS server.

It's already running (GNU/)Linux, a DHCP server, and probably a
tonne of vulnerable outdated software, after all.  They might as
well add a low-performance caching DNS server to completely
overload its slow CPU.  It could even be dnsmasq.

This built-in DNS server (or recursive resolver, to give it its
Latin name) is advertised by the modem through the DHCP response.
Your PC's DHCP client then wrote it to /etc/resolv.conf.

> Does this mean I use those DNS servers my Internet provider
> uses?

In effect.  When your PC asks your modem's stub DNS resolver for a
DNS record, your modem will either return a cached response or it
will reach out to whichever resolver(s) are configured in the
modem firmware.  Some modems let you change these from the ISP
defaults, or even disable the function completely, others don't.

> But DNSmask runs quickly and easy only with NetworkManager that
> I cannot stand for.

Yeah, this is how I use it (I quite like NM).  I've never set it
up on its own with Guix.

> Can I use another DNS server? and may be I will be able to
> access those sites RKN banned,
> for example realmusic.ru

I can't give you exact advice/commands but you absolutely can.

On a fully manual system, you'd edit /etc/resolv.conf and be done.
Writing, e.g., ‘nameserver 9.9.9.9’ (not an endorsement) will send
all DNS queries there instead of to your modem.

If you run any kind of daemon (even dhcp-client), it will probably
want to manage /etc/resolv.conf for you.  You'll have to ask it
not to, or to write your preffered DNS server there instead of the
autodiscovered one.  The Guix manual doesn't seem to document how.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Which dns server my system is using?
@ 2020-11-23 21:48   ` aviva
From: aviva @ 2020-11-23 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

On 11/23/20 1:00 PM, Julien Lepiller wrote:

> Le 23 novembre 2020 11:40:05 GMT-05:00, znavko--- via <help-guix@gnu.org> a écrit :
>> Hi, Guix! Congratulations for 1.2.0!
>>
>> I want to discover which dns server is using in my PC under Guix?
>> I have nothing in /etc/resolv.conf:
>>
>> # cat /etc/resolv.conf
>> nameserver 192.168.1.1
> Well, that's not nothing, is it?
>
> As indicated here, your current nameserver (= DNS resolver) is 192.168.1.1, which is also probably your router. Using DHCP, it advertises itself as a nameserver and your computer uses it.
>
> Usually, these are simply stub resolvers, that simply forward your requests to your ISP, which has a proper recursive resolver. You have to take a look at you're router's configuration to learn more about that; nothing guix can do about it.
>
> You could change your settings by using the static-networking service, or by manually changing your connexion details in network-manager, I suppose.

dig also has a trace option