unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Why 'iw dev' does not show wireless device?
@ 2019-10-06 17:00 znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-10-06 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello! I want to install the latest Guix 1.0.1 x86_84 on Acer Aspire 3 A315-42-R1JJ, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U/AMD Radeon Vega 6.
I've deleted from grub 'modprobe.blacklist=radeon' and added 'nomodeset' cause I have radeon and without 'nomodeset' option boot just freezes.

But I cannot see wifi. I've unblocked it with
# rfkill list
0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
 Soft blocked: yes
 Hard blocked: no
# rfkill unblock wifi
# rfkill list
0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
 Soft blocked: no
 Hard blocked: no

But iw does not see wireless device:
# iw dev
#

# ip link
1: lo:...
2: enp3s0
#

# lspci -vvnn > wifi
# nano wifi
Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter
Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci
Kernel modules: ath10k_pci
Please, what to do? I cannot get the name of the network device.

* Re: Why 'iw dev' does not show wireless device?
@ 2019-10-06 18:16 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2019-10-06 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Znavko,

znavko@disroot.org 写道:
> # lspci -vvnn > wifi
> # nano wifi
> Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless
> Network Adapter
> Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci
> Kernel modules: ath10k_pci
> Please, what to do? I cannot get the name of the network device.

All ath10k devices of which I'm aware require proprietary firmware
blobs that Guix won't ship and Linux-Libre won't load.  Even
though the kernel driver is loaded, I suspect you'll find some
firmware-related errors in dmesg.

I'm sorry,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Why 'iw dev' does not show wireless device?
@ 2019-10-09 17:38 ` znavko
From: znavko @ 2019-10-09 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

(Double). Yes, Tobias, I've dug this finally. This wifi card is not supported by LinuxLibre.

Please, would you give me advice, what to choose from mass-market ( in Russia dns-shop.ru )
for LinuxLibre and Guix in price under 540 euro ( 40.000 Roubles ) ???

I found this https://certification.ubuntu.com/desktop
But not sure it will exactly work with LinuxLibre. Also h-node lack some contemporary models.

@ 2019-10-14 18:36   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2019-10-14 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: znavko; +Cc: help-guix

Hello ZNavko,

znavko@disroot.org writes:

> (Double). Yes, Tobias, I've dug this finally. This wifi card is not supported by LinuxLibre.
>
> Please, would you give me advice, what to choose from mass-market ( in Russia dns-shop.ru )
> for LinuxLibre and Guix in price under 540 euro ( 40.000 Roubles ) ???
>
> I found this https://certification.ubuntu.com/desktop
> But not sure it will exactly work with LinuxLibre. Also h-node lack some contemporary models.
>
> October 6, 2019 6:17 PM, "Tobias Geerinckx-Rice" <me@tobias.gr> wrote:
>
>> Znavko,
>>
>> znavko@disroot.org 写道:
>>
>>> # lspci -vvnn > wifi
>>> # nano wifi
>>> Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless
>>> Network Adapter
>>> Kernel driver in use: ath10k_pci
>>> Kernel modules: ath10k_pci
>>> Please, what to do? I cannot get the name of the network device.
>>
>> All ath10k devices of which I'm aware require proprietary firmware
>> blobs that Guix won't ship and Linux-Libre won't load. Even
>> though the kernel driver is loaded, I suspect you'll find some
>> firmware-related errors in dmesg.
>>
>> I'm sorry,
>>
>> T G-R

You could try finding a device certified by the FSF's Respect Your
Freedom (RYF) program, see: https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw.

FWIW, I'm using one such device [0], and it works great.  Alternatively,
you could purchase a device using a supported chipset (the device linked
uses the Atheros AR9271 chipset); the hardware vendor shouldn't matter
much if the kernel has free drivers (and/or firmware) for the chip used
by it.

HTH,

Maxim

[0]:  https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/penguin-wireless-n-usb-adapter-gnu-linux-tpe-n150usb