unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Re: Do you guix pull for the root account on a single user machine running Guix System if the root user is never used?
@ 2024-08-16 20:52 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2024-08-16 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7059548; +Cc: help-guix

Hello!

On a single-user machine where the user has superuser privileges (wheel
group), it's not required to use 'root' for guix pull and guix system
configure. You can do `guix pull` and then `sudo guix system reconfigure
/etc/config.scm`; as regular user.

Regards,
Raghav "RG" Gururajan.

@ 2024-08-16 20:50 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2024-08-16 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 7059548; +Cc: help-guix

@ 2024-08-16 19:39 Oleander via
From: Oleander via @ 2024-08-16 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

According to the manual:

https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/After-System-Installation.html

> From then on, you can update the system whenever you want by running,
> say: `guix pull && sudo guix system reconfigure /etc/config.scm `

Then the manual also notes:

> guix pull updates the guix command and package definitions only for
> the user it is run as. This means that if you choose to use guix
> system reconfigure in root’s login shell, you’ll need to guix pull
> separately.

If I understood everything correctly, on a single user machine running
Guix SD, if the root user is never used to run any command, it's
not necessary to also run sudo -i guix pull or #guix pull. Is this
correct?