On 2016-02-02 11:45, swedebugia@riseup.net wrote: > On 2016-02-01 14:43, ludo@gnu.org wrote: >> swedebugia@riseup.net skribis: >> >>> I installed cups and xfce. What more do I need? >> >> For printers available on the network as in a typical “enterprise” >> setup, nothing more: the “print” dialog in Evince and similar tools >> will >> discover it and do the right thing. >> >>> In >>> https://gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Services.html#Services >>> I did not find a service declaration for CUPS. >>> >>> What is the next step? >> >> For a locally-connected printer you’ll certainly need a CUPS daemon >> running, indeed. I’m not sure exactly what it takes, but it would >> clearly be a worthwhile addition! > > OK. I gave it a try and this is how far I got: > The manpages and documentation on cups.org is rather useless regarding > installation and formatting of the config-files. > > The package installs corrupt config-files according to > $ cupsd -t > "/gnu/store/qs3xymcsgxa68i8m188261rhxsszx7za-cups-2.1.0/etc/cups/cups-files.conf" > contains errors. > > I have a running working installation of cups 1.7 on my trisquel 7 > machine. I tried copying the working (very similar) configs from there > which the trisquel-cupsd report as 'OK'. > => It did not help and the error is not as detailed as I would like > and there is no debug option is seems. > > Is there a good free non-apple-owned alternative to CUPS I could try > instead? The cupsd.conf I tried is attached. I now also tried this as root and testing with cupsd afterward without any succes: cp -r /gnu/store/qs3xymcsgxa68i8m188261rhxsszx7za-cups-2.1.0/var/* /var/ Maybe the error is that the socket referenced in cupsd.conf is missing: "# Only listen for connections from the local machine. Listen localhost:631 Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock" The socket is missing in the store and from the path above. I have no idea yet how to create it manually. cheers sdb