* h-node video card reporting
@ 2021-04-21 18:27 Bone Baboon
From: Bone Baboon @ 2021-04-21 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

As I have tested GPUs on five computers I would like to add my finding
to h-node.

Is the lack of /dev/dri/ sufficient to put a GPU in the "does_not_work"
category in video cards on h-node?

The h-node documentation says to test a GPUs 3D capability with
`rss-glx` and `compiz`.
https://h-node.org/wiki/page/en/How-to-test-your-hardware#Video%20Cards

Searching for `rss-glx` and `compiz` with `guix search` I do not get any
results.

Would `rss-glx` or `compiz` work with a Wayland window manager?

What other ways can I test a GPUs 3D capabilities?

Is the ability to start Sway a Wayland window manager sufficient to put
a GPU in the "works_without_3D" or "works_with_3D" category in video
cards on h-node (based on the GPUs 3D capability)?

* Re: h-node video card reporting
@ 2021-04-22  8:21 ` Adriano Peluso
From: Adriano Peluso @ 2021-04-22  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bone Baboon, help-guix

Il giorno mer, 21/04/2021 alle 14.27 -0400, Bone Baboon ha scritto:
> As I have tested GPUs on five computers I would like to add my
> finding
> to h-node.
>
> Is the lack of /dev/dri/ sufficient to put a GPU in the
> "does_not_work"
> category in video cards on h-node?
>
> The h-node documentation says to test a GPUs 3D capability with
> `rss-glx` and `compiz`.
> https://h-node.org/wiki/page/en/How-to-test-your-hardware#Video%20Cards
>
> Searching for `rss-glx` and `compiz` with `guix search` I do not get
> any
> results.
>
> Would `rss-glx` or `compiz` work with a Wayland window manager?
>
> What other ways can I test a GPUs 3D capabilities?
>
> Is the ability to start Sway a Wayland window manager sufficient to
> put
> a GPU in the "works_without_3D" or "works_with_3D" category in video
> cards on h-node (based on the GPUs 3D capability)?

I think the questions you asked about hardware support and updating the
docs about that would be better suited for the guix-devel mailing list

As far as I understand, the help mailing list is more for Guix users
and help with use cases

and the issues you are raising seem more as dev issues, to me