unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Guix logo re-use
@ 2022-07-10  4:53 Benson Muite
From: Benson Muite @ 2022-07-10  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,

Would like to use the Guix logo[0] modified to have a single color
without gradients to make an embroidered Polo-shirt[1]. Is this ok?  It
is under a CC-BY-4.0 license.  What is appropriate attribution on an
embroidered polo shirt? For example is the Guix name enough, should
CC-BY-4.0 and/or LFL Acevedo/sirgazil be added?

Regards,
Benson

[0]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git/tree/logo/GuixSD-print.svg
[1] https://fedoramagazine.org/diy-embroidery-with-inkscape-and-ink-stitch/

* Re: Guix logo re-use
@ 2022-07-10 17:19 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-07-10 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benson Muite; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Benson,

On Sunday, July 10th, 2022 at 04:53, Benson Muite <benson_muite@emailplus.org> wrote:

> Would like to use the Guix logo[0] modified to have a single color
> without gradients to make an embroidered Polo-shirt[1]. Is this ok?

Of course :)

I don't know if you already adjusted the logo to your needs, but if you haven't, maybe check the SVG icon in https://gitlab.com/luis-felipe/guix-backgrounds. I did that one thinking partly in embroidery but haven't actually tried it (don't know if the gaps are wide enough).

> It
> is under a CC-BY-4.0 license. What is appropriate attribution on an
> embroidered polo shirt? For example is the Guix name enough, should
> CC-BY-4.0 and/or LFL Acevedo/sirgazil be added?

You don't have to comply with the attribution requirement if you are printing the original logo or modified versions of it in your own clothes for personal use (you don't have to credit me nor indicate the changes you made to the logo anywhere in your clothes nor anywhere else).

If you plan to sell items with the original logo or modified versions of it, you must give attribution as indicated in https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/.

Hope that helps,

[-- Attachment #1.2: publickey - luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com - 0x12DE1598.asc --]

* Re: Guix logo re-use
@ 2022-07-11  6:27   ` Benson Muite
From: Benson Muite @ 2022-07-11  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Luis-Felipe,

>> Would like to use the Guix logo[0] modified to have a single color
>> without gradients to make an embroidered Polo-shirt[1]. Is this ok?
>
> Of course :)
>
> I don't know if you already adjusted the logo to your needs, but if you haven't, maybe check the SVG icon in https://gitlab.com/luis-felipe/guix-backgrounds. I did that one thinking partly in embroidery but haven't actually tried it (don't know if the gaps are wide enough).
Had done an initial conversion. Attached are preview images, including
one using the icon.

>> It
>> is under a CC-BY-4.0 license. What is appropriate attribution on an
>> embroidered polo shirt? For example is the Guix name enough, should
>> CC-BY-4.0 and/or LFL Acevedo/sirgazil be added?
>
> You don't have to comply with the attribution requirement if you are printing the original logo or modified versions of it in your own clothes for personal use (you don't have to credit me nor indicate the changes you made to the logo anywhere in your clothes nor anywhere else).
>
> If you plan to sell items with the original logo or modified versions of it, you must give attribution as indicated in https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/.
The shirt is for a free software enthusiast who is paying a fee.  What
is the procedure followed for the FSF store:
https://shop.fsf.org
There is no GUIX swag yet.  It may be nice to have more embroidered
items - these can be made in Africa, possibly custom fitted.

> Hope that helps,

[-- Attachment #2: GuixStitchPreview.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 95722 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: GuixIconPreview.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 175303 bytes --]

* Re: Guix logo re-use
@ 2022-07-11 14:19     ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2022-07-11 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benson Muite; +Cc: help-guix

On Monday, July 11th, 2022 at 06:27, Benson Muite <benson_muite@emailplus.org> wrote:

> Hi Luis-Felipe,
>

> > > Would like to use the Guix logo[0] modified to have a single color
> > > without gradients to make an embroidered Polo-shirt[1]. Is this ok?
> >

> > Of course :)
> >

> > I don't know if you already adjusted the logo to your needs, but if you haven't, maybe check the SVG icon in https://gitlab.com/luis-felipe/guix-backgrounds. I did that one thinking partly in embroidery but haven't actually tried it (don't know if the gaps are wide enough).
>

> Had done an initial conversion. Attached are preview images, including
> one using the icon.
>

> > > It
> > > is under a CC-BY-4.0 license. What is appropriate attribution on an
> > > embroidered polo shirt? For example is the Guix name enough, should
> > > CC-BY-4.0 and/or LFL Acevedo/sirgazil be added?
> >

> > You don't have to comply with the attribution requirement if you are printing the original logo or modified versions of it in your own clothes for personal use (you don't have to credit me nor indicate the changes you made to the logo anywhere in your clothes nor anywhere else).
> >

> > If you plan to sell items with the original logo or modified versions of it, you must give attribution as indicated in https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/.
>

> The shirt is for a free software enthusiast who is paying a fee. What
> is the procedure followed for the FSF store:
> https://shop.fsf.org

I don't know what's the procedure in FSF's store, but in your particular case you can simply use the logo in the shirt and accept the money for your work. You don't have to put my name in the design :)

My understanding is that stores selling items with the logo would have to give proper credit somewhere: in the item's page and/or in labels in the apparel.

I could check what's the process to get items in FSF's store, but I also plan to sell those kinds of items in my store (https://um4no.creator-spring.com/) at some point (mainly hats and sweaters).

@ 2022-07-12  5:30       ` Benson Muite
From: Benson Muite @ 2022-07-12  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: help-guix

> I don't know what's the procedure in FSF's store, but in your particular case you can simply use the logo in the shirt and accept the money for your work. You don't have to put my name in the design :)
Ok.

> My understanding is that stores selling items with the logo would have to give proper credit somewhere: in the item's page and/or in labels in the apparel.
Can add an appropriate label. Thanks.

>> There is no GUIX swag yet. It may be nice to have more embroidered
>> items - these can be made in Africa, possibly custom fitted.
>
> I could check what's the process to get items in FSF's store, but I also plan to sell those kinds of items in my store (https://um4no.creator-spring.com/) at some point (mainly hats and sweaters).
Will do this. The store is nice since some amount would also go back to
the project.  Ideally they would also allow linking to the logo creators
online profile or perhaps facilitate sales by people creating artwork
using free software.  People do amazing things with Inkscape, Krita,
GIMP, etc., but not much goes back to support such projects.