Hello Thiago, Le jeudi 23 décembre 2021 à 21:33 -0300, Thiago Jung Bauermann a écrit : > I had a similar issue recently on my Ubuntu laptop, when I switched > the > display manager from SDDM to GDM. From what I gather, the latter > launches the desktop session without using a shell so at no point the > shell initialization files are evaluated and thus the environment > isn’t set > up as usual. > > I use KDE Plasma, and it has a mechanism to evaluate shell scripts to > set the environment, so in my case to fix the problem what I had to > do > was: > > $ ln -s /etc/profile ~/.config/plasma-workspace/env/profile.sh > Thanks for sharing this. > I searched a bit, but unfortunately I couldn’t find an equivalent > solution for MATE. > I have a bit of difficulty finding documentation for Mate unfortunately. > I suppose one alternative would be to switch from GDM to SDDM. :-) If using GDM implies that the setup of Guix will not work, I suppose Guix should consider some improvement to make it work with GDM. I am not sure GDM is really the problem. On both computers, I am using lightdm, in my case, lightdm is surely not the problem (it could be a different configuration of lightdm, I could dig into lightdm documentation but it seems rather small). > bash automatically reads /etc/profile when invoked as a login shell. > There are more details here: > > > https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-Startup-Files.html > Yes and I can confirm it works. That said, a mechanism to always invoke bash as login shell could have side effects that I may find only much later. Or, after an upgrade, that mechanism may stop working, or create other problems, and I could have forgotten what I did manually. Perhaps the problem even comes because of something I did manually and can't remember. If anyone is using Guix with Debian 11 and Mate, I am interested to know whether that problem exists or not. David.