unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Jack Hill <jackhill@jackhill.us>
To: Josh Holland <josh@inv.alid.pw>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale on foreign distro
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2019 21:30:26 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019, Josh Holland wrote:

> Hi Guix,
>
> It's only now I reply to this that I notice that it wasn't my thread I
> was responding to, since I was having exactly the same problem.

I'm always releived to see other people having the same problem, and I'm
not lost in some dark corner of computer problems where no one else
ventures :)

> On Mon, Jun 03, 2019 at 02:01:50PM -0400, Jack Hill wrote:
>> 1) The default locale in the provided systemd unit, en_US.utf8, is not
>> provided by the glibc-locales package but rather only by the
>> glibc-utf8-locales package.
>
> Installing glibc-utf8-locales has made the errors go away.

Yay!

>> 2) The quoting in systemd unit is wrong. Changing
>>
>> ```
>> Environment=GUIX_LOCPATH='/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/lib/locale' LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
>> ```

>> ```
>> Environment='GUIX_LOCPATH=/var/guix/profiles/per-user/root/guix-profile/lib/locale' LC_ALL=en_US.utf8
>> ```
>>
>> fixed the problem.
>
> I've made this change too, though it appeared to be fixed just by
> installing glibc-utf8-profiles.

What foreign distro are you using? I wonder if the former works with some
systemd versions, but not all.

>> I'll open bugs for each of these issues.
>
> Glad that these won't be a problem any more; thanks a lot!

To close the loop, those issues are

https://issues.guix.info/issue/36074 and
https://issues.guix.info/issue/36076

While poking around the bugtracker, I noticed another one which is related
to the whole situation:

https://issues.guix.info/issue/35671

Best,
Jack