unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech>
To: Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com>
Cc: "help-guix@gnu.org" <help-guix@gnu.org>,
	Joshua Branson <jbranso@dismail.de>
Subject: Re: Guix Bluetooth Headset
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 12:03:46 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi all,

I'm a full-time Guix user but I don't really think I have average requirements for my computing.

I tried to connect to a bluetooth speaker once, there's a thread in the mailing lists about it... I didn't manage to do it.

I tried through Gnome first, and it literally doesn't show any Bluetooth device. I was able to use some bluetooth controllers like Bluez or so and I managed to pair the device (and Gnome still didn't recognize the bluetooth but did recognize the pairing, amazing stuff), but I didn't manage to make the music sound through it.

I'd like to help more but this is what I got.

This is the kind of things that are discouraging. Guix is a good thing but the user experience is sometimes plainly horrible, for stuff that should be simple.

> I am curious how many people actually use Guix for the user-facing computers - do people use Ubuntu something and use Guix as a mere package manager or install Guix on a headless (virtual) computer and remotely use it?

I am curious too, because I only use Guix for the only computer I own, but I'm not sure if it could be reasonable for anyone else, mostly because sometimes Guix users are supposed to know too much about internal software layers and there's no help about those times where you don't know enough.

This bluetooth case is very accurate case to explain this kind of situation. Sound has a very weird software stack, if you combine it with bluetooth everything gets complicated. If you don't know about it you are in trouble.

Sorry for the depressing thoughts, but this is how I feel.

I hope you find your way to make it work and share it.

Best,
Ekaitz