unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Full Disk Encryption
@ 2020-12-21  8:54 sullentrapdoor
From: sullentrapdoor @ 2020-12-21  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello! I was happy to see that lvm support was recently added to Guix
System. This brings two questions.

The documentation is not clear on what LVM can even be used for at the
moment. In the file `/gnu/tests/install.scm` from Guix, it mentions
"guix currently doesn't allow root-on-LVM". I do not see a mention of
this anywhere else in the documentation. I am not sure if this is true
and if it, why it is true. Will support for "root-on-LVM" come soon?

If the above situation is possible, I would like to install Guix System
with full disk encryption. Currently, I have two partitions on my disk,
one the EFI and the other one a LUKS partition with LVM. On LVM I have a
root, home, and swap partition. Is there any way at the moment that I
can simply install Guix System to my root partition without modifying my
luks/lvm setup?

Thank you!

* Re: Full Disk Encryption
@ 2020-12-22 23:21 ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-12-22 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sullentrapdoor; +Cc: help-guix

Hey sullentrapdoor@airmail.cc!

Thanks for sharing that LVM support was added to guix!  I had not heard
about that!  That's awesome!  And thanks Mikhail Tsykalov for committing
it!  I'm pretty sure with a name like Mikhail, you have to be a genius.
Am I right?

For the commit message, it looks like LVM support was added on
11/25/2020.  So like, really recently.  It also looks like there has
only been one commit:  The commit to package LVM, which includes the
comment that guix currently doesn't support root-on-LVM.

My intuition tells me that currently guix does not support /root on
LVM.  I suppose it's just a little difficult to get that support set up
at the moment.  But you could always give Mikhail a financial tip to add
LVM /root support!  I'll chip in $5 toward this goal if you do!  Anyone
else that wants this support, feel free to respond with however much you
would donate for this support.

Man this is super cool news!  I've really wanted to play around with LVM
for quite some time now!

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

enough other people get what they want." - Zig Ziglar

* Re: Full Disk Encryption
@ 2020-12-24 19:41   ` sullentrapdoor
From: sullentrapdoor @ 2020-12-24 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Thank you Joshua!

I appreciate you tracking down the commit (and committer). Searching
Mikhail Tsykalov I did not find any way to give him a tip, but I did
find a relevant issue that he published.

> Guix System in  current state can't boot from lvm partition because grub can't find
kernel and initrd. This also applies to systems where /gnu/store is on
lvm partition. Grub has lvm support in the form of "lvm" module, but it
isn't loaded currently. Making grub config generator emit "insmod lvm"
before grub starts accessing stuff on /gnu/store (so immediately after
initial commit) will fix this.

https://issues.guix.info/44877

I am very new to Guix and Scheme so I am not sure how the aforementioned
fixed can be implemented.

@ 2020-12-24 23:03     ` Martin Flack
From: Martin Flack @ 2020-12-24 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sullentrapdoor; +Cc: help-guix

I would also be willing to tip for this! Someone do let us know if that's
possible.

Martin

@ 2020-12-25 10:36     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-12-25 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sullentrapdoor; +Cc: help-guix

For those curious, I just opened the relevant file
'/gnu/tests/install.scm', navigated to the section about LVM support,
and ran M-x magit-blame.  Super cool command.  :)