unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* What's the license of Guix's blog?
@ 2020-06-11 16:50 Zhu Zihao
From: Zhu Zihao @ 2020-06-11 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I want to translate some of Guix's blog into another language, but I don't know what license the articles in Guix'blog using, are they using GNU FDL?

Guix's blog: https://guix.gnu.org/blog/

--
Zihao

* Re: What's the license of Guix's blog?
@ 2020-06-12 16:20 ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-06-12 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhu Zihao; +Cc: help-guix

"Zhu Zihao" <all_but_last@163.com> wrote:
> I want to translate some of Guix's blog into another language, but I don't know what license the articles in Guix'blog using

A good question!

> are they using GNU FDL?

The repo containing blog posts is, as youʼve already found, is guix/guix-artwork [1].  Its README says:

| * Copying
|
| ** Guile code
|
| See [[file:COPYING][COPYING]].
|
| ** Graphics
|
| Public domain 2015 Luis Felipe López Acevedo
|
| All the graphics in this directory are dedicated to the public domain, except
| for the Guix System Distribution logo, which can be used under the Creative
| Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
|
| You can find information about authors and copyright in the metadata of SVG
| files. If you are using Inkscape, you can access the Document metadata from
| the File menu.

That is, textual works are not licensed.  Specific files under website/posts/ does not feature any licence either.

In other words, nothing suggests that they are covered by GNU FDL, nor that they are free at all.

There is nothing good in absence of explicit licence, since in that way they are not even legally redistributable, but _freeing_ them actually would _not_ be in line with the usual https://www.gnu.org policy, where CC BY-ND is used, and all translations are supposed to be done via official translation teams [2].

[1] https://git.sv.gnu.org/cgit/guix/guix-artwork.git
[2] https://www.gnu.org/server/standards/README.translations.html#teams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: What's the license of Guix's blog?
@ 2020-07-24 14:20 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-07-24 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhu Zihao; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

"Zhu Zihao" <all_but_last@163.com> skribis:

> I want to translate some of Guix's blog into another language, but I don't know what license the articles in Guix'blog using, are they using GNU FDL?

Translations would be welcome!

Most articles do not have an explicit license.  However, I believe most
authors are still around and we should be able to agree on a default
license for all the articles.  We can add a note at the bottom of the
web page of each article stating that, unless otherwise stated, the
document is available under the agreed-upon license.

I would propose GFDLv1.3+ without invariant sections, since that can
then be relicensed to CC-BY-SA should anyone need it.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

* Re: What's the license of Guix's blog?
@ 2020-07-24 14:44   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-07-24 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Zhu Zihao, help-guix

Ludovic Courtès 写道:
> I would propose GFDLv1.3+ without invariant sections, since that
> can
> then be relicensed to CC-BY-SA should anyone need it.
>
> Thoughts?

I think that it's a great choice.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: What's the license of Guix's blog?
@ 2020-07-24 15:30   ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-07-24 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix, Zhu Zihao

Hi Ludo’, all,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,

[...]
> I would propose GFDLv1.3+ without invariant sections, since that can
> then be relicensed to CC-BY-SA should anyone need it.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Ludo’.

I'm not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but reading the text for
GFDLv1.3 <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl-1.3.html>, specifically
"11. RELICENSING", it seems to me that the explicit permission to
relicense GFDLv1.3-covered work to CC BY-SA 3.0 was only valid until
August 1, 2009.  Thus, I would suggest explicitly asking the FSF or
seeking legal advice about that, to know whether that section still
applies today.

Another good candidate is CC BY-SA 4.0, which was declared one-way
compatible with GPLv3
<https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/creative-commons-by-sa-4-0-declared-one-way-compatible-with-gnu-gpl-version-3>;
but it does have its own gotchas
<https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/ShareAlike_compatibility:_GPLv3#Option_to_comply_with_later_versions>.
I have also seen folks license material on their site under GPLv3+.
I currently do that for the material on my personal site.

That's my 2¢; hope it helps.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: What's the license of Guix's blog?
@ 2020-07-24 21:36     ` Dmitry Alexandrov
From: Dmitry Alexandrov @ 2020-07-24 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: help-guix, Zhu Zihao