unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Jesse Gibbons <jgibbons2357@gmail.com>
To: anon <anon@post.su>, help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: guix system disk-image /etc/config.scm error: u-boot-allwinner-bootloader: unbound variable
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2020 12:56:07 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi anon,
On Fri, 2020-01-31 at 20:18 +0000, anon wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I installed guix on Armbian 19.11.6 on BananaPi M1. Command
> 'guix pull' executing correctly, but when i try execute 'guix system
> disk-image /etc/config.scm' it end whith error:
> 	/etc/config.scm:20:0: error: u-boot-allwinner-bootloader:
> 	unbound variable
> 	hint: Did you forget `(use-modules (#g549 #))'?
>
> I cant find any information about this module, what is it?
> Configuration file: https://pastebin.com/Tf5igU23
>
> Thanks.

In order to boot on ARM-based machines (i.e. banana pi), guix needs to
use u-boot. u-boot-allwinner-bootloader should be in (gnu bootloader u-
boot).
Since every ARM computer has different hardware, you may need to make a
new bootloader and u-boot package for your banana pi M1. You can try
greping the sources for "bananapi-m2-ultra" and making corresponding
packages for bananapi-m1. I'm afraid I can't help you if that doesn't
work though.
I have been trying to make my banana pi m2u run the guix system for
several weeks now without success because it isn't very well
documented. The installer disk image I generated doesn't work when I dd
it to the built-in emmc (bug report pending). If the disk image you are
generating doesn't work, try using guix on armbian to bootstrap the
system as described in the tutorial at <
https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/guix-on-an-arm-board/> and make sure the
bootloader and / refer to separate partitions.
-Jesse