On 28/05/17 16:49, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hi Christopher, > > Christopher Baines skribis: > >> So I deleted some system generations from one of my GuixSD systems, then >> rebooted. Unfortunately, I can no longer get it to boot. I think the >> latest system generation should work, and at least one of the previous >> generations should work. >> >> Excluding the generations that I removed, the others don't boot. All I >> can really gather so far is a call stack, and the message: >> Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! > > Weird. Is it because the root file system could not be found? Or > something else? Like Ricardo wrote, could it be that the file system > label changed or something? Looking at the file system and configuration, it seems that this is unlikely. >> I'm going to try and make some time to see if I can get this system back >> working again. I'm not sure how realistic this is, but I'm planning to >> start by using the installation image, and somehow running guix system >> reconfigure. > > I would suggest booting from an external medium such as the installation > image, mounting the file system that holds /gnu/store, and inspecting > there. > > Also worth trying: you could edit the command line in the GRUB menu to > have it refer to /var/guix/profiles/system-NNN-link, where NNN is the > number of a previous generation known to be on disk. I don't have the right cables to attempt to get a serial connection to see what is going on in the early boot, so I tried running guix system init from some GuixSD installation media. I'm glad to say that it worked :) After running guix system init, I had a working system generation to boot with. I'll try to setup some kind of serial connection, so that I can attempt to debug further if this happens again. Thanks, Chris