unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* define  PATH and PROFILE
@ 2021-01-03 18:59 Christophe Pisteur
From: Christophe Pisteur @ 2021-01-03 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

sorry for the newbie question.

1) after guix pull, I get the following message:

export PATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin:$PATH"
export INFOPATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/share/info:$INFOPATH"

I don't quite understand what to type in the terminal. Should I replace
$HOME or HOME with the path of my directory, for example:

export PATH="/home/christophe/.config/guix/current/bin:$PATH"
and then:
export
INFOPATH="/home/christophe/.config/guix/current/share/info:$INFOPATH"

2) similar question with this message:

GUIX_PROFILE="/home/christophe/.guix-profile"
. "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"

Is this two actions (two step in the terminal, the first line and
"enter" then the second line and "enter")?
And does the second line really begin with a dot?

In both questions (1 et 2), I have tried several options but the
terminal does not return any message (neither error nor success
message)

Again, sorry for the newbie question.

PS: I use guix system with the installer 1.2.

* Re: define  PATH and PROFILE
@ 2021-01-03 20:49 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-01-03 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christophe Pisteur; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Christophe,

Christophe Pisteur 写道:
> 1) after guix pull, I get the following message:
>
> export PATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin:$PATH"
> export
> INFOPATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/share/info:$INFOPATH"
>
> I don't quite understand what to type in the terminal.

Exactly these two lines as printed.  As you copied them into this
e-mail.

> Should I replace
> $HOME or HOME with the path of my directory, for example:
>
> export PATH="/home/christophe/.config/guix/current/bin:$PATH"
> and then:
> export
> INFOPATH="/home/christophe/.config/guix/current/share/info:$INFOPATH"

Well, if you:

  $ echo $HOME
  /home/christophe

so both are entirely equivalent.

If you write (or copy/paste) $HOME, the shell will perform your
replacement for you, with less chance of mistakes.

> 2) similar question with this message:
>
> GUIX_PROFILE="/home/christophe/.guix-profile"
> . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
>
> Is this two actions (two step in the terminal, the first line
> and
> "enter" then the second line and "enter")?

Yes, although most terminal emulators do the right thing if you
simply copy and paste both lines at once with the mouse.  You
might have to hit Enter after that; it depends on the emulator.

> And does the second line really begin with a dot?

Yes.  ‘.’ evaluates the contents of a shell script as if you typed
it at the prompt.  In bash, it's aliased to ‘source’ but this is
not standard, so we say ‘.’.

It's similar to executing the script (without the dot), but allows
the script to change the current shell's environment:

  $ TEST=nope
  $ cat ./example
  TEST=hullo
  $ echo $TEST
  nope
  $ chmod +x ./example
  $ ./example # <- running
  $ echo $TEST
  nope
  $ . ./example
  $ echo $TEST # <- sourcing
  hullo
  $

> In both questions (1 et 2), I have tried several options but the
> terminal does not return any message (neither error nor success
> message)

In Unix -- and GNU, being a Unix -- silence is golden.  }:-)

If something did go wrong you should've got an error message, so
it sounds like everything is fine & boring.

Welcome to Guix, and please don't hesitate to ask questions,
newbie or not.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: define  PATH and PROFILE
@ 2021-01-03 22:01   ` Christophe Pisteur
From: Christophe Pisteur @ 2021-01-03 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

Le dimanche 03 janvier 2021 à 21:49 +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice a
écrit :
> Hi Christophe,
>
> Christophe Pisteur 写道:
> > 1) after guix pull, I get the following message:
> >
> > export PATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/bin:$PATH"
> > export
> > INFOPATH="$HOME/.config/guix/current/share/info:$INFOPATH"
> >
> > I don't quite understand what to type in the terminal.
>
> Exactly these two lines as printed.  As you copied them into this
> e-mail.
>
> > Should I replace
> > $HOME or HOME with the path of my directory, for example:
> >
> > export PATH="/home/christophe/.config/guix/current/bin:$PATH"
> > and then:
> > export
> > INFOPATH="/home/christophe/.config/guix/current/share/info:$INFOPAT
> > H"
>
> Well, if you:
>
>   $ echo $HOME
>   /home/christophe
>
> so both are entirely equivalent.
>
> If you write (or copy/paste) $HOME, the shell will perform your
> replacement for you, with less chance of mistakes.
>
> > 2) similar question with this message:
> >
> > GUIX_PROFILE="/home/christophe/.guix-profile"
> > . "$GUIX_PROFILE/etc/profile"
> >
> > Is this two actions (two step in the terminal, the first line
> > and
> > "enter" then the second line and "enter")?
>
> Yes, although most terminal emulators do the right thing if you
> simply copy and paste both lines at once with the mouse.  You
> might have to hit Enter after that; it depends on the emulator.
>
> > And does the second line really begin with a dot?
>
> Yes.  ‘.’ evaluates the contents of a shell script as if you typed
> it at the prompt.  In bash, it's aliased to ‘source’ but this is
> not standard, so we say ‘.’.
>
> It's similar to executing the script (without the dot), but allows
> the script to change the current shell's environment:
>
>   $ TEST=nope
>   $ cat ./example
>   TEST=hullo
>   $ echo $TEST
>   nope
>   $ chmod +x ./example
>   $ ./example # <- running
>   $ echo $TEST
>   nope
>   $ . ./example
>   $ echo $TEST # <- sourcing
>   hullo
>   $
>
> > In both questions (1 et 2), I have tried several options but the
> > terminal does not return any message (neither error nor success
> > message)
>
> In Unix -- and GNU, being a Unix -- silence is golden.  }:-)
>
> If something did go wrong you should've got an error message, so
> it sounds like everything is fine & boring.
>
> Welcome to Guix, and please don't hesitate to ask questions,
> newbie or not.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> T G-R

Thank you very much for this answer which not only explains to me what
to do, but also allows me to understand what I am doing!
Thank you!
Christophe

* Re: define PATH and PROFILE
       [not found] <mailman.103.1609779610.25319.help-guix@gnu.org>
@ 2021-01-04 17:07 ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2021-01-04 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello Christophe!

Some time ago I created this:
https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl/guix-package-manager-tutorials/src/33f519f2517685106b71399993a7da94cad84d3b/dot-profile-file.org

I see, that I also included some individual stuff in there, which you
might not need, but perhaps it can be of use.

Regards,
Zelphir

@ 2021-01-04 17:56   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-01-04 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zelphir Kaltstahl; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Zelphir, Christophe,

Zelphir Kaltstahl 写道:
> Some time ago I created this:
> https://notabug.org/ZelphirKaltstahl/guix-package-manager-tutorials/src/33f519f2517685106b71399993a7da94cad84d3b/dot-profile-file.org

Thanks for sharing!

Not directly related, but I just want to point out that you
shouldn't ‘need’ any of it just to make Guix go.

Editing ~/.profile isn't a routine thing on a routine Guix
installation, although for some reason some people believe
otherwise.  I'm not sure why.  Adding magic incantations to it can
cause hard-to-diagnose bugs, even long after the fact.  's Why it
triggers me so; forgive me :-)

If Guix or its packages don't work without them, and you're not
customising things like Zelphir, please pop in and tell us.  Only
add things to ~/.profile that are somehow ‘personal’, and that you
understand.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: define PATH and PROFILE
@ 2021-01-04 21:19     ` Zelphir Kaltstahl
From: Zelphir Kaltstahl @ 2021-01-04 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: help-guix

Hi,

good to know that Tobias! I remember I did have to do stuff with the
locales some time ago, so perhaps that is how I started messing around
with stuff. Another part is trying to modularize profiles and making
their programs available on the PATH. Also there was something about
using Guix installed LyX with manually installed (not system package
manager, not Guix, but downloaded tlmgr) complete TeXLive distribution.
Oh, and I am on foreign distro. I should have mentioned that before, I
think. Ooops. ^^'

Anyway, next system I set up, I will try, whether I can get by without
setting anything at all ;-)

祝好, regards,
Zelphir