unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Unable to locate printer (on the network) - Brother HL-3170CDW
@ 2022-10-06  6:24 Christian Gelinek
From: Christian Gelinek @ 2022-10-06  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi all,

I am rather new to GuixSD and don't have much experience with GNU/Linux
printing, so please bear with me.

Trying to set up my Brother HL-3170CDW series printer over the network I
found some useful messages on this list, especially the example system
configuration at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-05/txtEOQnSAKbJY.txt
which I took as a reference when extending my own config file.

I got the CUPS web GUI working, which detects the printer in the Add
Printer dialog, with a Connection setting of
dnssd://Brother%20HL-3170CDW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-001ba9fa9f52

When trying to print a test page, the State column on the printer's
page's Jobs section becomes "Unable to locate printer
"BRN001BA9FA9F52.local"."

On another system running Xubuntu 18.04, I can successfully print on the
same printer using a different connection, namely
ipp://BRN001BA9FA9F52.local:631/ipp/printer.

So I set up another printer in the GuixSD's CUPS GUI with the same
connection, but unfortunately it keeps giving me the same error when I
attempt to print a test page.

Any help with fixing or debugging this further would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Christian

* Re: Unable to locate printer (on the network) - Brother HL-3170CDW
@ 2022-10-07 18:41 ` jbranso
From: jbranso @ 2022-10-07 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Gelinek, help-guix

October 6, 2022 2:51 AM, "Christian Gelinek" <christian.gelinek@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am rather new to GuixSD and don't have much experience with GNU/Linux printing, so please bear
> with me.
>
> Trying to set up my Brother HL-3170CDW series printer over the network I found some useful messages
> on this list, especially the example system configuration at
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2020-05/txtEOQnSAKbJY.txt
> which I took as a reference when extending my own config file.
>
> I got the CUPS web GUI working, which detects the printer in the Add Printer dialog, with a
> Connection setting of
> dnssd://Brother%20HL-3170CDW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-001ba9fa9f52
>
> When trying to print a test page, the State column on the printer's page's Jobs section becomes
> "Unable to locate printer "BRN001BA9FA9F52.local"."
>
> On another system running Xubuntu 18.04, I can successfully print on the same printer using a
> different connection, namely
> ipp://BRN001BA9FA9F52.local:631/ipp/printer.
>
> So I set up another printer in the GuixSD's CUPS GUI with the same connection, but unfortunately it
> keeps giving me the same error when I attempt to print a test page.
>
> Any help with fixing or debugging this further would be much appreciated.

I wish I could help.  I've never tried printing in GNU/Linux...

@ 2023-03-19  7:20   ` Christian Gelinek
From: Christian Gelinek @ 2023-03-19  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbranso, help-guix

Hello again!

On 7/10/22 18:41, jbranso@dismail.de wrote:
> October 6, 2022 2:51 AM, "Christian Gelinek" <christian.gelinek@mailbox.org> wrote:
>
>> I got the CUPS web GUI working, which detects the printer in the Add Printer dialog, with a
>> Connection setting of
>> dnssd://Brother%20HL-3170CDW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=e3248000-80ce-11db-8000-001ba9fa9f52
>>
>> When trying to print a test page, the State column on the printer's page's Jobs section becomes
>> "Unable to locate printer "BRN001BA9FA9F52.local"."
>>

> I wish I could help.  I've never tried printing in GNU/Linux...

This was a long time ago, but a recent message on this list under the
subject 'Unable to find wireless printer/scanner (Canon Pixma MG2950) on
Guix' [0] suggested a fix which also worked in my case: All I needed to
add to my 'operating-system' declaration was the '(name-service-switch
%mdns-host-lookup-nss)' line, and I can print now.

Thanks to Guillaume for the suggestion.

[0]: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2023-03/msg00094.html