Hello Guix, Table of Contents _________________ 1. Introduction 2. How to create a fork? .. 1. guix time-machine .. 2. Any other limitations? 3. How to keep the fork up to date? .. 1. Authentication 4. Conclusion 1 Introduction ============== I would like to start my own fork of the upstream Guix, in order to be able to use some patches I require. I went through the documentation, but I am unclear on few details, so I hope someone will be kind enough to help me. 2 How to create a fork? ======================= While documentation does describe most of this, I want to make sure I did figure out all the step (and their ordering). 1. Create a git repository (git.example.org/guix) 2. Add my signing key (with fingerprint F) into a file name.key on the keyring branch, producing commit with hash H1. Push it. 3. Add my signing key (with fingerprint F) into the .guix-authorizations file, commit the changes, producing commit with hash H2. Push it. 4. Create a channel description file: ,---- | (list (channel | (name 'guix) | (url "https://git.example.org/guix") | ;; Enable signature verification: | (introduction | (make-channel-introduction | "H2" | (openpgp-fingerprint | "F"))))) `---- The %default-channels is missing. Q: Can %default-channels contain multiple channels? Should I rather replace 'guix in that variable? 5. Guix pull using the file from 4. 6. Reconfigure the system/home. From this point on I should be running my own fork, from commits in my git repository, with things like authentication properly working, correct? Did I miss any required steps? 2.1 guix time-machine ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ How does the time-machine interact with this setup? Since any time travel would likely interact with commits before the channel introduction, will it even work? If now, is there a way around it? 2.2 Any other limitations? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Will I encounter any other limitations with this setup? Are there things that will just not work? Or will this behave exactly like upstream Guix (- the patches)? I guess I am curious if I should expect any foot guns (and where). 3 How to keep the fork up to date? ================================== The other question is how to keep my "fork" up to date. I am inclined to just use git merge, and periodically merge changes from the upstream. Are there any downsides to that? If it is relevant, I expect the flow to be unidirectional, from Guix to my fork. 3.1 Authentication ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I need to also keep the keyring branch synchronized, correct? Will authentication work properly with merge-based workflow? Will the commits being merged have their signatures checked? Or will it check just the merge commits? 4 Conclusion ============ Did I miss anything? Does anyone have any tips before I give this a try? Thanks, W. -- There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.