unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Modular texlive and xelatex
@ 2022-06-17 14:42 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2022-06-17 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I am considering moving from the monolithic texlive distribution
(which is not easy to update with an essentially full hard drive...)
to the modular one, but do not find
   share/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xunicode/xunicode.sty

Does anyone know if this exists in some package?

Do we have a way of looking up which package contains a given file,
if at all (with cuirass or the data service)?

Andreas

* Re: Modular texlive and xelatex
@ 2022-06-17 14:54 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2022-06-17 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge, help-guix

Hi,
On Fri, 17 Jun 2022 at 16:42, Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am considering moving from the monolithic texlive distribution
> (which is not easy to update with an essentially full hard drive...)
> to the modular one, but do not find
>    share/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xunicode/xunicode.sty
>
> Does anyone know if this exists in some package?

From the manual [1], I get:

$ guix shell -C texlive-base sed coreutils grep -- tlmgr info xunicode
package:     xunicode
category:    Package
shortdesc:   Generate Unicode characters from accented glyphs
longdesc:    The package supports XeTeX's (and other putative future similar engines') need for Unicode characters, in a similar way to what the fontenc does for 8-bit (and the like) fonts: convert accent-glyph sequence to a single Unicode character for output. The package also covers glyphs specified by packages (such as tipa) which define many commands for single text glyphs.
installed:   Yes
revision:    30466
sizes:       doc: 5k, run: 205k
relocatable: No
cat-version: 0.981
cat-license: lppl1.3
cat-topics:  preprocessor unicode
cat-related: euenc
collection:  collection-latexrecommended

so I guess this .sty is included by default.  Is it not the case?

1: <https://guix.gnu.org/manual/devel/en/guix.html#Using-TeX-and-LaTeX>

> Do we have a way of looking up which package contains a given file,
> if at all (with cuirass or the data service)?

Yeah, it is a request for a long time.  But nothing I am aware of.

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Modular texlive and xelatex
@ 2022-06-17 15:38   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2022-06-17 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun; +Cc: help-guix

Am Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 04:54:28PM +0200 schrieb zimoun:
> so I guess this .sty is included by default.  Is it not the case?

Hm, the following fails:
guix shell texlive-base texlive-cm-super texlive-latex-geometry texlive-fontspec -- xelatex wasser.tex
! LaTeX Error: File `xunicode.sty' not found.

And when I install the packages into my user profile, it also fails.

It is definitely missing; my ~/.guix-profile/share/texmf-dist/tex
looks like this:
dr-xr-xr-x 4 root root 4096  1. Jan 1970  generic/
dr-xr-xr-x 2 root root 4096  1. Jan 1970  latex/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   95  1. Jan 1970  luatex -> /gnu/store/xnv7ixprml580hsqr22zn9kmbmnh9swf-texlive-hyph-utf8-59745/share/texmf-dist/tex/luatex
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   89  1. Jan 1970  plain -> /gnu/store/r4vpwxfm9piynv8yw9igh0ghxpbc5dh5-texlive-etex-59745/share/texmf-dist/tex/plain

There should be a subdirectory xelatex.

@ 2022-06-17 19:06 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2022-06-17 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am considering moving from the monolithic texlive distribution
> (which is not easy to update with an essentially full hard drive...)
> to the modular one, but do not find
>    share/texmf-dist/tex/xelatex/xunicode/xunicode.sty
>
> Does anyone know if this exists in some package?

The tlpdb says that this file is provided by the xunicode package –
which we don’t have yet.

[time passes]

We now have texlive-xunicode as of commit
793ce82c9d5ead8457da9cec8d1d8afc12704f10.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Modular texlive and xelatex
@ 2022-06-19 19:29   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2022-06-19 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Am Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 09:06:06PM +0200 schrieb Ricardo Wurmus:
> The tlpdb says that this file is provided by the xunicode package –
> which we don’t have yet.
>
> [time passes]

Not much actually!

> We now have texlive-xunicode as of commit
> 793ce82c9d5ead8457da9cec8d1d8afc12704f10.

Thanks a lot! I used "guix import texlive floatflt" to add this package.
Congratulations for a nice importer! (Although I stumbled over needing to
add #:trivial? #t, which becomes obvious only when comparing with
neighbouring packages.)

The result for my file still is not quite like the monolithic texlive.
First, babel complains as follows:
Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were preloaded for
(babel)                the language `German (trad. orthography)' into the format.
(babel)                Please, configure your TeX system to add them and
(babel)                rebuild the format. Now I will use the patterns
(babel)                preloaded for \language=0 instead on input line 62.
I have installed texlive-generic-babel-german and texlive-hyphen-german;
have you got an idea what I am missing?

Second, the font (Linux Libertine O) looks ragged, and a "--" is typeset
as two dashes instead of an ndash. Suggestions are also welcome!

@ 2022-06-22  3:27     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-06-22  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

Hi Andreas,

Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr> writes:

> Am Fri, Jun 17, 2022 at 09:06:06PM +0200 schrieb Ricardo Wurmus:
>> The tlpdb says that this file is provided by the xunicode package –
>> which we don’t have yet.
>>
>> [time passes]
>
> Not much actually!
>
>> We now have texlive-xunicode as of commit
>> 793ce82c9d5ead8457da9cec8d1d8afc12704f10.
>
> Thanks a lot! I used "guix import texlive floatflt" to add this package.
> Congratulations for a nice importer! (Although I stumbled over needing to
> add #:trivial? #t, which becomes obvious only when comparing with
> neighbouring packages.)
>
> The result for my file still is not quite like the monolithic texlive.
> First, babel complains as follows:
> Package babel Warning: No hyphenation patterns were preloaded for
> (babel)                the language `German (trad. orthography)' into the format.
> (babel)                Please, configure your TeX system to add them and
> (babel)                rebuild the format. Now I will use the patterns
> (babel)                preloaded for \language=0 instead on input line 62.
> I have installed texlive-generic-babel-german and texlive-hyphen-german;
> have you got an idea what I am missing?
>
> Second, the font (Linux Libertine O) looks ragged, and a "--" is typeset
> as two dashes instead of an ndash. Suggestions are also welcome!

If you're going for xelatex, I suggest migrating from Babel to
Polyglossia, as that's recently been fixed and tested to work fine with
e.g. generating the IPython documentation in PDF format.

Hope that helps,

Maxim

* Re: Modular texlive and xelatex
@ 2022-07-09 16:21       ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2022-07-09 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, help-guix

Hello Maxim,

Am Tue, Jun 21, 2022 at 11:27:48PM -0400 schrieb Maxim Cournoyer:
> If you're going for xelatex, I suggest migrating from Babel to
> Polyglossia, as that's recently been fixed and tested to work fine with
> e.g. generating the IPython documentation in PDF format.
> Hope that helps,

yes and no :)

Yes, because it is an interesting option that I would like to check out.

No, because I was wondering whether I could move to the modular texlive with
a profile that would allow me to still process all my old files. So currently
this is not easily possible.

Thanks nevertheless!

Andreas