unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Niklas Schmidt <snlabs@posteo.net>
To: Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Add VLAN with Guile Netlink link-add
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 19:30:53 +0000	[thread overview]

Thanks a lot, Julien!

I really like the short examples in the documentation. They are very
helpful to me.

Adding the VLAN link works now.

For anyone interested, here is what works for me, based on Julien's
documentation:

As root (in order to configure network interfaces):

   root@guix ~# guix shell \
   > --pure \
   > --with-latest=guile-netlink \
   > guile guile-netlink \
   > -- guile
   guix shell: warning: cannot authenticate source of 'guile-netlink', version 1.1.2
   updating checkout of 'https://git.lepiller.eu/git/guile-netlink'...
   retrieved commit 81c33102905b6a4467bbe2eefb9c17c6c23a58b3
   Consider installing the 'guile-readline' package for
   convenient interactive line editing and input history.

   Consider installing the 'guile-colorized' package
   for a colorful Guile experience.

   GNU Guile 3.0.7
   Copyright (C) 1995-2021 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

   Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
   This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
   under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

   Enter `,help' for help.
   scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (ip link) (ip addr))
   scheme@(guile-user)> (link-add "ens3.10" "vlan" #:type-args '((id . 10) (link . "ens3")))
   $1 = #t
   scheme@(guile-user)> (addr-add "ens3.10" "192.168.10.219/24")
   $2 = #t
   scheme@(guile-user)> (link-set "ens3.10" #:up #t)
   $3 = #t

A ping over the newly created link works.

Greetings
Niklas