On Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 11:31:40AM +0000, phodina via wrote: > Hi Guix, > > Lots of programs now allow users to extend their features through plugins. > On non Guix distros where the user does not have the root priviledges they place > the the content of their plugin in the configuration directory in home directory. > > Here's example for Kicad: > ~/.kicad_plugins/ > ~/.kicad/scripting/ > ~/.kicad/scripting/plugins/ > > To further complicate things they can have their own plugin manager (e.g. Freecad). > > In some cases they contain just some raw data or configs. However, large amount has > some code embedded like shell scripts, python which needs special handling on Guix. > > Therefore my question is how to integrate them? > > What I propose is with the merge of home services [2], there is now possibility to: > > - create package defintion of the plugin > - create home service that will link the plugin into the correct location > within the home dir > > There is also an alternative. > I searched the Kicad forum for plugin installation and installation into system dirs > (under /usr) is not recommended [2]. The plugin could be linked into the plugin > location under the /gnu/store/xxx-package. This could be done by inheriting kicad > package and adding the plugins to the input. That approach wouldn't be very flexible, > as it would create to many package combinations. > > Also I never installed plugins into system directories on distibutions used before > Guix system so I don't know if it would work. > > [1] commit 6ae4644984608b7eff7ab54d3a5787c661d85b2e > [2] https://forum.kicad.info/t/plugin-location-ubuntu-refresh-solved/24396 Following down that thread, I came across this other bit too: Can you follow the instruction in the document you linked to: Open Tools -> Scripting Console in pcbnew type import pcbnew; print pcbnew.PLUGIN_DIRECTORIES_SEARCH What does it tell? v3xX Aug 2020 /usr/share/kicad/scripting /usr/share/kicad/scripting/plugins /home//.config/kicad/scripting /home//.config/kicad/scripting/plugins /home//.kicad_plugins /home//.kicad/scripting /home//.kicad/scripting/plugins it looks like it should search in this folders. so it looks like kicad could have a search-path of 'share/kicad' or 'share/kicad/scripting' and the plugins installed to %out/share/kicad/scripting for each plugin. -- Efraim Flashner רנשלפ םירפא GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted