On Sat, May 01, 2021 at 10:01:39PM -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote: > I see the cookbook now mentions the possibility of running Guix on a > pinephone... is anyone actually doing it? Mind posting your experiences > and setup? > > (Doesn't have to be as a phone necessarily... I'm more interested in > using it as a lightweight portable computer. But a phone would be nice > too.) > I have a pinephone that I play with occasionally. I haven't yet installed Guix (package manager, not planning on OS any time soon) on it, I mostly want to see what I can get to work without worrying about integrating packages from Guix too. The display is 720x1440, but that's a bit of a lie since somewhere between 600 and 700 pixels are lost to the on-screen keyboard. (I have the KDE plasma mobile one). I tried setting up KMail for email on the phone and I almost got it set up, but I don't have an existing config to copy over and setting it up on the phone is difficult with the aforementioned screen size. It's running wayland so I can't just use 'ssh -X' to pull it up on my desktop and setup kmail. I will agree with everyone that the phone is getting better with each incremental software release and feels faster with each passing week. On the other side, as a more computer oriented device, I love ssh-ing into my phone and treating it like a normal computer. Unfortunately I had to give my KVM switch to my kids (they're now switching between my old desktop and an N64) so I haven't been able to hook up the pinephone to my monitor yet. As a last thing, I have used my kickstarter-era pine64 as a build machine for Guix for many years now and I found that under load it's more stable running Debian than running Guix. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted