unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* two questions on guix upgrade
@ 2021-03-16 19:47 Andy Tai
From: Andy Tai @ 2021-03-16 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi, two questions on guix upgrade via

guix pull && guix package -u

1. Is there a way to tolerate errors in single package upgrade and keep the
others going?   right now I have opencv installed and opencv build now is
broken, so if I do the above command as is the whole 'package -u' command
would fail unless I explicitly exclude opencv from the update step.

2. is there a way to exclude packages that require local build?  I use a VM
with just 4 Gb of RAM running the guix distribution and the above command
may fail when upgrading and certain packages with no substitutes yet
available would be build locally and because of the low amount of RAM the
build steps would fail, again making the whole command fail.   It would be
ideal to have an option to just skip packages that would be built locally.

Sorry if I missed any existing ways to do these if already available..

--
Andy Tai, atai@atai.org, Skype: licheng.tai, Line: andy_tai, WeChat:
andytai1010

* Re: two questions on guix upgrade
@ 2021-03-16 20:43 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-03-16 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 12:47:33PM -0700, Andy Tai wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to tolerate errors in single package upgrade and keep the
> others going?   right now I have opencv installed and opencv build now is
> broken, so if I do the above command as is the whole 'package -u' command
> would fail unless I explicitly exclude opencv from the update step.

You can use the --keep-going or --do-not-upgrade options, depending on
your needs.

> 2. is there a way to exclude packages that require local build?  I use a VM
> with just 4 Gb of RAM running the guix distribution and the above command
> may fail when upgrading and certain packages with no substitutes yet
> available would be build locally and because of the low amount of RAM the
> build steps would fail, again making the whole command fail.   It would be
> ideal to have an option to just skip packages that would be built locally.

No, sorry, this isn't possible (yet?). Guix is a build-from-source
distro with transparent substitution of precompiled binaries, so it's
not simple to "only substitute".

You can use the `guix weather` command to check in advance which
substitute are available, and then use --do-not-upgrade accordingly.

* Re: two questions on guix upgrade
@ 2021-03-16 21:19 ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2021-03-16 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Tai; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

Am Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 12:47:33PM -0700 schrieb Andy Tai:
> guix pull && guix package -u

this may not be what you are looking for, but my pedestrian way of doing
things is to do a "--dry-run" first:
   guix package -n -u
(the "-u" must come last, or be replaced by "-u .").
That queries the substitute servers and shows a list of packages that would
be downloaded or built locally. And then I exclude the latter in a second
run with "--do-not-upgrade" if I feel a local build is too costly.

It is lacking in automation, however... At the same time, you know what is
updated and what needs another trial later.

Andreas