unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* /dev/kvm missing
@ 2021-03-16 15:45 Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2021-03-16 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

trying to run the Android emulator on Guix, I notice that /dev/kvm is
missing on my system; "lsmod | grep kvm" shows these:
kvm                   819200  0
irqbypass              16384  1 kvm

Do I need to add anything to my system configuration to enable it? I am
using the 5.11.4-gnu kernel on an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz.

Thanks for your advice,

Andreas

* Re: /dev/kvm missing
@ 2021-03-16 18:16 ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-03-16 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Hi, Andreas,

> trying to run the Android emulator on Guix, I notice that /dev/kvm is
> missing on my system; "lsmod | grep kvm" shows these:
> kvm 819200 0
> irqbypass 16384 1 kvm
>
> Do I need to add anything to my system configuration to enable it? I am
> using the 5.11.4-gnu kernel on an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz.

I have /dev/kvm in my system. In my user-account record I have "kvm" in the supplementary-groups field.

* Re: /dev/kvm missing
@ 2021-03-16 19:32 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-03-16 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 04:45:35PM +0100, Andreas Enge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> trying to run the Android emulator on Guix, I notice that /dev/kvm is
> missing on my system; "lsmod | grep kvm" shows these:
> kvm                   819200  0
> irqbypass              16384  1 kvm
>
> Do I need to add anything to my system configuration to enable it? I am
> using the 5.11.4-gnu kernel on an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300U CPU @ 2.40GHz.

You may need to enable it in the BIOS. There should be an option about
"virtualization extensions", or maybe some "Intel VT-something" feature.

I have the same CPU and it supports KVM.

* Re: /dev/kvm missing
@ 2021-03-16 20:02   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-03-16 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe, Andreas Enge; +Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

Just thinking about it, but there's a setting in bios you need to activate for it to work. Then the kernel might pick it up only when it's activated. Have you ever tried running qemu-kvm?

@ 2021-03-16 21:09   ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2021-03-16 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: help-guix

Hello,

thanks to all of you for your kind and helpful replies!

Am Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 03:32:03PM -0400 schrieb Leo Famulari:
> You may need to enable it in the BIOS. There should be an option about
> "virtualization extensions", or maybe some "Intel VT-something" feature.

Indeed, it was disabled in the BIOS, after I enabled virtualisation,
/dev/kvm appeared.

Am Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 06:16:08PM +0000 schrieb Luis Felipe:
> I have /dev/kvm in my system. In my user-account record I have "kvm" in the supplementary-groups field.

And that is something I also added, since
$ ll /dev/kvm
crw-rw---- 1 root kvm 10, 232 16. Mär 21:49 /dev/kvm
has group "kvm".

I got another suggestion off the list to try as a stop-gap measure
an "mknod /dev/kvm c 10 232", which did not work; maybe because the
group was "root" instead of "kvm", but more likely because of the BIOS.

All the best,

Andreas