unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* How to avoid downloading qtbase:debug
@ 2022-10-22  1:39 kiasoc5
From: kiasoc5 @ 2022-10-22  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Dear Guix,

=guix shell qtbase= downloads the entire debug output of qtbase even
though I didn't write down qtbase:debug. That's hundreds of megabytes
of bandwith I didn't want to use. How do I avoid downloading the debug
output? Is this a bug?

* Re: How to avoid downloading qtbase:debug
@ 2022-10-22 10:39 ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-10-22 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kiasoc5; +Cc: help-guix

kiasoc5 <kiasoc5@disroot.org> writes:

> Dear Guix,
>
> =guix shell qtbase= downloads the entire debug output of qtbase even
> though I didn't write down qtbase:debug. That's hundreds of megabytes
> of bandwith I didn't want to use. How do I avoid downloading the debug
> output? Is this a bug?

I think it should be considered a bug.  guix shell always downloads
every output of all the packages.

* Re: How to avoid downloading qtbase:debug
@ 2022-10-22 14:28   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-10-22 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: kiasoc5, help-guix

Hi,

Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:

> kiasoc5 <kiasoc5@disroot.org> writes:
>
>> Dear Guix,
>>
>> =guix shell qtbase= downloads the entire debug output of qtbase even
>> though I didn't write down qtbase:debug. That's hundreds of megabytes
>> of bandwith I didn't want to use. How do I avoid downloading the debug
>> output? Is this a bug?
>
> I think it should be considered a bug.  guix shell always downloads
> every output of all the packages.

Yes, that's annoying.  I think it has to do with grafts; when a package
must be grafted, all its output must be available.  Grafts complicates
many things, but unfortunately they are necessary to provide timely
security updates.

I don't see a bug anymore for that one, we should try to improve things
here; feel free to report it to bug-guix@gnu.org, perhaps with a title
like "grafts cause all outputs to be downloaded".  Perhaps a solution
would be making graft derivations substitutable (currently they happen
on the local machine).

Maxim

* Re: How to avoid downloading qtbase:debug
@ 2022-10-22 15:28   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2022-10-22 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: kiasoc5, help-guix

Hi!

kiasoc5 写道:
> =guix shell qtbase= downloads the entire debug output of qtbase
> even
> though I didn't write down qtbase:debug. That's hundreds of
> megabytes
> of bandwith I didn't want to use. How do I avoid downloading the
> debug
> output?

If this is what I suspect it is, the only way would be ‘guix shell
--no-grafts’.  This will disable any security fixes that haven't
yet made it to master.

I don't recommend it, beyond testing it to see if grafts are
indeed to blame, and perhaps narrowing down how.

> Is this a bug?

If it is due to grafting, it's a long-time known annoyance, yes.
I searched (twice) to find a specific open bug report to give you,
but found nothing.

(Almost certainly a failure on my part; don't open a new one ;-)

I say annoyance because it's nothing more for most people, but if
bandwidth is a serious issue for you the best way to see it fixed
is to dig in.

Csepp 写道:
> guix shell always downloads every output of all the packages.

All generalisations are false, as they say:

~ λ guix shell qtbase
…
19.4 MB will be downloaded
 qtbase-6.3.1  18.5MiB …
𝕘 qtbase ~ λ exit

~ λ guix shell qtbase:debug
…
321.6 MB will be downloaded
 qtbase-6.3.1-debug  288.2MiB …
𝕘 qtbase:debug ~ λ exit

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to avoid downloading qtbase:debug
@ 2022-10-22 15:37     ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2022-10-22 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: Csepp, kiasoc5, help-guix

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Csepp <raingloom@riseup.net> writes:
>
>> kiasoc5 <kiasoc5@disroot.org> writes:
>>
>>> Dear Guix,
>>>
>>> =guix shell qtbase= downloads the entire debug output of qtbase even
>>> though I didn't write down qtbase:debug. That's hundreds of megabytes
>>> of bandwith I didn't want to use. How do I avoid downloading the debug
>>> output? Is this a bug?
>>
>> I think it should be considered a bug.  guix shell always downloads
>> every output of all the packages.
>
> Yes, that's annoying.  I think it has to do with grafts; when a package
> must be grafted, all its output must be available.  Grafts complicates
> many things, but unfortunately they are necessary to provide timely
> security updates.
>
> I don't see a bug anymore for that one, we should try to improve things
> here; feel free to report it to bug-guix@gnu.org, perhaps with a title
> like "grafts cause all outputs to be downloaded".  Perhaps a solution
> would be making graft derivations substitutable (currently they happen
> on the local machine).

Could you write it?  It's clear you know much more about what's going on
under the hood.

* Re: How to avoid downloading qtbase:debug
@ 2022-10-22 19:27   ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2022-10-22 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: kiasoc5, help-guix

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 12:39:54PM +0200, Csepp wrote:

> kiasoc5 <kiasoc5@disroot.org> writes:
>
> > Dear Guix,
> >
> > =guix shell qtbase= downloads the entire debug output of qtbase even
> > though I didn't write down qtbase:debug. That's hundreds of megabytes
> > of bandwith I didn't want to use. How do I avoid downloading the debug
> > output? Is this a bug?
>
> I think it should be considered a bug.  guix shell always downloads
> every output of all the packages.

I assume it's related to grafts:

(ins)efraim@3900XT ~$ guix shell qtbase@6
321.1 MB will be downloaded
 qtbase-6.3.1-debug  287.7MiB                                                                                        3.7MiB/s 00:01 [                  ]   1.4%^C
(ins)efraim@3900XT ~$ guix shell --no-grafts qtbase@6
(ins)efraim@3900XT ~ [env]$
exit

Looks like it downloads all the outputs so it can perform grafts on all
the outputs, and only then does it put just qtbase in the environment.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to avoid downloading qtbase:debug
@ 2022-10-27 17:03     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2022-10-27 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: kiasoc5, help-guix

Hi,

Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 12:39:54PM +0200, Csepp wrote:
>>
>> kiasoc5 <kiasoc5@disroot.org> writes:
>>
>> > Dear Guix,
>> >
>> > =guix shell qtbase= downloads the entire debug output of qtbase even
>> > though I didn't write down qtbase:debug. That's hundreds of megabytes
>> > of bandwith I didn't want to use. How do I avoid downloading the debug
>> > output? Is this a bug?
>>
>> I think it should be considered a bug.  guix shell always downloads
>> every output of all the packages.
>
> I assume it's related to grafts:
>
> (ins)efraim@3900XT ~$ guix shell qtbase@6
> 321.1 MB will be downloaded
>  qtbase-6.3.1-debug 287.7MiB 3.7MiB/s 00:01 [ ] 1.4%^C
> (ins)efraim@3900XT ~$ guix shell --no-grafts qtbase@6
> (ins)efraim@3900XT ~ [env]$
> exit
>
> Looks like it downloads all the outputs so it can perform grafts on all
> the outputs, and only then does it put just qtbase in the environment.

Yes, and this is because grafts have been marked as non-substitutable by
choice, for performance considerations.  Would revisiting this choice
helps here (making graft derivations substitutable?).

Maxim

* Re: How to avoid downloading qtbase:debug
@ 2022-11-18 16:37 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2022-11-18 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kiasoc5; +Cc: help-guix

Hi!

kiasoc5 <kiasoc5@disroot.org> skribis:

> =guix shell qtbase= downloads the entire debug output of qtbase even
> though I didn't write down qtbase:debug. That's hundreds of megabytes
> of bandwith I didn't want to use. How do I avoid downloading the debug
> output? Is this a bug?

Yes, it’s an unfortunate bug:

  https://issues.guix.gnu.org/30952

Would be good to look into it again with a fresh mind!

Ludo’.