unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* rust: where is cargo?
@ 2020-12-26 14:34 Todor Kondić
From: Todor Kondić @ 2020-12-26 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix\@gnu.org

Hello,

I have been playing with rust and the first thing I noticed with the guix installation is that there is no cargo. More accurately, there is indeed an output of the rust package called "cargo" and there are entries for cargo with bin paths in the store, but nothing that ends up in the PATH variable (etc/profile).

So, what's the deal here? I know that guix approach is to replace package managers, but cargo is more than that and, at least, a tool needed to follow the rust book while learning.

* Re: rust: where is cargo?
@ 2020-12-26 15:02 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-12-26 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todor Kondić; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Todor!

Todor Kondić 写道:
> I have been playing with rust and the first thing I noticed with
> the guix installation is that there is no cargo.

There is, in the (as you note) cargo output:

  $ guix install rust:cargo
  $ type cargo
  cargo is /home/nckx/.guix-profile/bin/cargo
  $ realpath `command -v cargo`
  /gnu/store/krn8958...-rust-1.46.0-cargo/bin/cargo
  $ cargo search guix
  guix = "0.1.0"    # Cross Platform Gui Library
  # wait whut no

I think we'll need more details to know why/what doesn't work for
you.

How did you install and test cargo?

> More accurately, there is indeed an output of the rust package
> called "cargo" and there are entries for cargo with bin paths in
> the store, but nothing that ends up in the PATH variable
> (etc/profile).

Then your configuration is broken somehow: something is messing
with Guix's $PATH.

Do you modify $PATH anywhere, for example in your .bash_profile?

> I know that guix approach is to replace package managers

I don't think that's true.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: rust: where is cargo?
@ 2020-12-26 18:19   ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira via
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira via @ 2020-12-26 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Em 26/12/2020 12:02, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice escreveu:
>> I know that guix approach is to replace package managers
>
> I don't think that's true.
It's half true, valid to the extent that, contrary to cargo's default repository, Guix's default follows the GNU FSDG, which also requires that every other repository referenced in that one or by the community also expresses the same commitment. If there is one reference to one which doesn't, then such reference should either be replaced, removed or there must be an agreement between the parties to fix this in the referenced repository.

The act of removing such reference is sometimes done by not including the referrer package, and this is done when there is not much resource left to deal with the fact that other repository must be created.

It's common practice for free/libre system distributions to provide a “GNU FSDG” bug/issue/task tag/section for cases where they provide packages that refer to third-party repositories not committed to the GNU FSDG, along other cases not compliant with GNU FSDG. If cargo is indeed included.

--
* Ativista do software livre
	* https://libreplanet.org/wiki/User:Adfeno
	* Membro dos grupos avaliadores de
		* Software (Free Software Directory)
		* Distribuições de sistemas (FreedSoftware)
		* Sites (Free JavaScript Action Team)
	* Não sou advogado e não fomento os não livres
* Sempre veja o spam/lixo eletrônico do teu e-mail
	* Ou coloque todos os recebidos na caixa de entrada
* Sempre assino e-mails com OpenPGP
	* Chave pública: vide endereço anterior
	* Qualquer outro pode ser fraude
	* Se não tens OpenPGP, ignore o anexo "signature.asc"
* Ao enviar anexos
	* Docs., planilhas e apresentações: use OpenDocument
	* Outros tipos: vide endereço anterior
* Use protocolos de comunicação federadas
	* Vide endereço anterior
* Mensagens secretas somente via
	* XMPP com OMEMO
	* E-mail criptografado e assinado com OpenPGP

* Re: rust: where is cargo?
@ 2020-12-26 19:16   ` Adonay Felipe Nogueira via
From: Adonay Felipe Nogueira via @ 2020-12-26 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix