unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* simple config with just startx not working for me
@ 2021-08-21 21:15 Andreas Reuleaux
From: Andreas Reuleaux @ 2021-08-21 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix Users

I am fairly new to guix, thus bear with me please.

I want to start X on my system with startx - i.e. log into my system
just from a tty, and then start X by hand (and i3 will be my window
manager, I just have an .xsession file in my $HOME, where I start i3)
- I do not want any desktop-services / desktop-manager / graphical login manager
(this may seem old school - but has worked fine for me for years
under debian).

I cannot really get this working though: I have xinit installed (with
startx therein, cf. my config below), but when I

  startx

on the command line, I get this:

    xauth:  file /home/rx/.serverauth.1957 does not exist

    xinit: unable to run server "/gnu/store/8v0sja48lmlx5j28hs2mci2rr7v8ilm5-xinit-1.4.1/bin/X": No such file or directory
    Use the -- option, or make sure that /gnu/store/8v0sja48lmlx5j28hs2mci2rr7v8ilm5-xinit-1.4.1/bin is in your path and
    that "/gnu/store/8v0sja48lmlx5j28hs2mci2rr7v8ilm5-xinit-1.4.1/bin/X" is a program or a link to the right type of server
    for your display.  Possible server names include:

        Xorg        Common X server for most displays
        Xvfb        Virtual frame buffer
        Xfake       kdrive-based virtual frame buffer
        Xnest       X server nested in a window on another X server
        Xephyr      kdrive-based nested X server
        Xvnc        X server accessed over VNC's RFB protocol
        Xdmx        Distributed Multi-head X server

    xinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
    xinit: unexpected signal 2

Also, in the guix manual I find an "xorg-start-command" mentioned, but I don't
know how that is supposed to be used (or if I need it at all)? - thus
xorg-start-command is commented out below.

Thanks in advance.
  -A

(packages
    (append

     (map specification->package
          '(
	    "xinit"

	    "i3-wm"

	    "python"
	    "rsync"
	    ;; "python-hy"

	    ;; ""

	    )
	  )

     %base-packages))

  (services
    (append
     (list

      (service openssh-service-type

               (openssh-configuration
                ;; (x11-forwarding? #t)

                ;; (permit-root-without-password)
                (permit-root-login #t)

                ))

      (service dhcp-client-service-type)

      (set-xorg-configuration (xorg-configuration
			       (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout)

			       ))

      ;; (xorg-start-command )

      )