unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Boot logs
@ 2021-05-23 13:54 excalamus--- via
From: excalamus--- via @ 2021-05-23 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

I'm trying to investigate a slow Guix System boot, yet am unsure how to view the logs.  My understanding is that Shepherd handles the boot process.  I can't find information in the manual about where logs are stored or how to view them.  How can I view boot logs?

* Re: Boot logs
@ 2021-05-23 14:48 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2021-05-23 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: excalamus; +Cc: help-guix

Excalamus,

excalamus--- via 写道:
> I'm trying to investigate a slow Guix System boot, yet am unsure
> how to view the logs.

All logs should be in /var/log (most notably the ‘messages’ file).
Not everything is logged.

What does the console say during the delay?

> My understanding is that Shepherd handles the boot process.

Mostly.  Actual early boot is handled by
<https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/build/linux-boot.scm#n493>,
which then starts the Shepherd, which then starts all system
services.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Boot logs
@ 2021-05-31 17:34   ` excalamus--- via
From: excalamus--- via @ 2021-05-31 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: Help Guix

Thank you, Tobias.

> All logs should be in /var/log (most notably the ‘messages’ file). Not everything is logged.
>
> What does the console say during the delay?

You're correct.  I'm not precisely seeing in 'messages' what I see during boot.  Overall, there is no single culprit; each message merely takes a few seconds each.  The messages that indicate problems are with ntpd and polkit.  There is a kernel TIME_ERROR which is ultimately resolved down the line (when logged in, the correct time is displayed).  During boot, it slowly steps through various checks (which fail at that time).  'messages' does not display anything beyond "kernel reports TIME_ERROR: 0x41: Clock Unsynchronized".  Polkit throws a "critical error" along with a message about being deblobbed.  'messages' only shows that polkitd was started.  I assume the errors from polkit are expected from the libre kernel?  Installing the polkit package appears to have made no difference in the boot message.