unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* building emacs from tarball inside guix env
@ 2020-08-20 10:59 Adam Kandur via
From: Adam Kandur via @ 2020-08-20 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

hi everyone! tried to build emacs in guix env

here is my manifest:
----------------------------------
(specifications->manifest
 '("make"
   "gcc-toolchain"
   "gnutls"
   "ncurses"
   "mailutils"
   "libx11"
   "gtk+"
   "libxft"
   "libtiff"
   "giflib"
   "libjpeg"
   "imagemagick"
   "acl"
   "libpng"
   "zlib"
   "librsvg"
   "libxpm"
   "libxml2"
   "libice"
   "libsm"
   "alsa-lib"
   "dbus"
   "libotf"
   "m17n-lib"))
during configuration i got this error:
checking for xaw3d... no
checking for libXaw... configure: error: No X toolkit could be found.
If you are sure you want Emacs compiled without an X toolkit, pass
  --with-x-toolkit=no
to configure.  Otherwise, install the development libraries for the toolkit
that you want to use (e.g. Gtk+) and re-run configure.
maybe somebody had same problem?

* Re: building emacs from tarball inside guix env
@ 2020-08-20 12:04 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-08-20 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Kandur; +Cc: Help Guix

Hi Adam,

The guix environment command by default gives an environment *required to build* the given package.

In this case

guix environment emacs

Should get you close. Then you can combine with the ad-hoc flag to adjust if the requirements of the tarball are different than the package definition in guix.

Hope that helps,

John

* Re: building emacs from tarball inside guix env
@ 2020-08-20 12:06 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2020-08-20 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Kandur; +Cc: Help Guix

On Thu, Aug 20, 2020 at 12:59:08PM +0200, Adam Kandur via wrote:
> hi everyone! tried to build emacs in guix env
>
> here is my manifest:
> ----------------------------------
> (specifications->manifest
>  '("make"
>    "gcc-toolchain"
>    "gnutls"
>    "ncurses"
>    "mailutils"
>    "libx11"
>    "gtk+"
>    "libxft"
>    "libtiff"
>    "giflib"
>    "libjpeg"
>    "imagemagick"
>    "acl"
>    "libpng"
>    "zlib"
>    "librsvg"
>    "libxpm"
>    "libxml2"
>    "libice"
>    "libsm"
>    "alsa-lib"
>    "dbus"
>    "libotf"
>    "m17n-lib"))
> during configuration i got this error:
> checking for xaw3d... no
> checking for libXaw... configure: error: No X toolkit could be found.
> If you are sure you want Emacs compiled without an X toolkit, pass
>   --with-x-toolkit=no
> to configure.  Otherwise, install the development libraries for the toolkit
> that you want to use (e.g. Gtk+) and re-run configure.
> maybe somebody had same problem?

I would suggest adding pkg-config to the list of packages. Alternatively
you can try using 'guix environment emacs' to get the inputs that guix
uses in the build environment when building emacs.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: building emacs from tarball inside guix env
@ 2020-08-20 12:22   ` Adam Kandur via
From: Adam Kandur via @ 2020-08-20 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: Help Guix

hi it helped. after "guix environment emacs" configuration was ok. but there some additional questions i have:
1) where "guix environment emacs" look for env description?
2) i tried to recreate env using inputs described in gnu/packages/emacs.scm in emacs package but got error described in the first message. is there way for manual recreating environment that i didn't notice?
2) what is better way to build sources as they are (from tar, just for testing, not for packaging)?

Aug 20, 2020, 12:04 by jsoo1@asu.edu:

@ 2020-09-10 14:02     ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2020-09-10 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Kandur via; +Cc: John Soo, Adam Kandur

1) I would guess that guix environment emacs, looks in the package
definition to discover emacs' dependencies.

2) Are you trying to create a custom emacs package?
If so, then you might like my jmacs package:
https://notabug.org/jbranso/guix-packages/src/master/packages/jmacs.scm

3) I would guess "guix build <package name>".  You could have a custom
channel that is local to your machine.  Any packages in it, take
precedent over packages in guix proper.  That is to say, that your
custom emacs package named "emacs" and is available locally, would be
built instead of the "emacs" package in guix.  You could also define

I personally do this in my ~/.bash_profile

#+BEGIN_SRC sh
    export GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH=/home/joshua/prog/gnu/guix/guix-packages/
#+END_SRC

--
Joshua Branson
Sent from Emacs and Gnus

* Re: building emacs from tarball inside guix env
@ 2020-09-10 18:26     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-09-10 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Kandur; +Cc: help-guix

Adam Kandur via <help-guix@gnu.org> writes:

> 2) what is better way to build sources as they are (from tar, just for
> testing, not for packaging)?

In simple cases you can use “guix build --with-source=… emacs”, where
the argument to “--with-source” is a tarball.

--
Ricardo