unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Defining custom services in /etc/config.scm
@ 2021-01-24 19:09 Sergiu Ivanov
From: Sergiu Ivanov @ 2021-01-24 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello,

I'm trying to start redshift [0] as a shepherd service, and this is how
I defined the redshift service in my /etc/config.scm:

(define evry-geolocation "48.63681:2.42777")
(define redshift-service
  (shepherd-service
   (provision '(redshift))
   (requirement '(xorg-server))
   (documentation "Start Redshift as a service")
   (start #~(make-forkexec-constructor
	     `("redshift" "-l" ,evry-geolocation)))
   (stop #~(make-kill-destructor))))

However, I can't find a way to add this to the services field of the
operating-system declaration.

When I try:

 (services (append
	    (list redshift-service
		  (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
		  (set-xorg-configuration
		   (xorg-configuration (keyboard-layout keyboard-layout))))
	    %desktop-services))

I get the message "Wrong type argument #<<shepherd-service> ...".

I understand that I should somehow construct a <service> (?) from my
<shepherd-service>, but I don't see a way to do it.

I've also seen a couple mailing list discussions [1,2] and a blog post
[3] about doing what I want in "pure shepherd", i.e. independently of
Guix, but these solutions seem to be doing more than what I need.

How can I add a custom shepherd service to the operating-system
definition in /etc/config.scm?

-
Sergiu

[0] http://jonls.dk/redshift/