unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* I cannot install bootloader in Virtualbox
@ 2017-12-10 10:37 Foxmean
From: Foxmean @ 2017-12-10 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix@gnu.org

I would like to test using guix package manager but I fail to install it. And I follow qemu instruction and fail too. I'm quite newbie.
However, I've just pass to the last process -- install bootloader, which fail.
This is my configuration (see first attached picture, sorry for that -- I'm simply don't have idea how to bring this file out of Virtualbox).
And the error message is in the second attached picture
I'm using Virtualbox 5.1.30

Thank you for your help.

[-- Attachment #2: guixscm.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 19030 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: errorMessage.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 13989 bytes --]

* Re: I cannot install bootloader in Virtualbox
@ 2017-12-11 11:57 ` Martin Castillo
From: Martin Castillo @ 2017-12-11 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Foxmean, help-guix@gnu.org

Hi,

it looks like sda consists of a single filesystem, i.e. you did something like mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda instead of formatting the disk with fdisk /dev/sda, creating one or more partitions an then creating a filesystem on one partition: mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1.

However, this was maybe intended from you. In this case you need to grub-install --force --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda. As far as I know, this kind of setup might not be bootable, because there may be no space at the first 512 bytes of the disk. (Maybe I'm wrong, if ext4 leaves the first 512 bytes free.)

If you are doing the first solution, use bios and not uefi, there are 2 ways to format a disk. Gpt and msdos/mbr. If you choose gpt, you'll need a second 1mb partition for grub.

HTH.

Martin