unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
To: jbranso@dismail.de, Raghav Gururajan <rg@raghavgururajan.name>,
	help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Re: OpenVPN Service
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 06:36:55 -0500	[thread overview]

Le 18 novembre 2020 20:04:33 GMT-05:00, jbranso@dismail.de a écrit :
>I had an issue with openvpn service leaking my DNS queries.  I've set
>up network manager to manage my vpn connections.  Though, I think I had
>to use DNS over HTTPS to fix the leaking DNS issue.

Well, this is not tomething you can configure on the VPN side I think. The server might advertise a DNS server on the VPN, in which case it won't leak. Ocherwise, you need to check your DNS settings and default routes to make sure that your DNS server is not on your local network, and uses the VPN route.

DoH does not solve this: it's only a way to use DNS over a diffirent, encrypted port. Usually it's used with an external server (eg. Cloudflare), but it can also be implemented on your local network, in which case you're still leaking your DNS queries. Again, if you want to use DoH, you need to configure it properly :)