unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Help with .deb, .rpm and guix packaging.
@ 2020-10-29 16:34 Aniket Patil
From: Aniket Patil @ 2020-10-29 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hi,
There are GNU/Linux distros which are Debian-based or fedora(Redhat) based
etc. What I know to my knowledge is GNU packages are .tar packages with
.deb and .rpm file format, am I right? What I am wondering about how guix
makes it happen? I mean are we bypassing the process of making the package
in .deb and .rpm format and releasing it, or what exactly are we doing? To
my knowledge, we are building from source code as we can see in the recipe.
So that means we are bypassing the process of making packages explicitly
for the distro, aren't we?

Where can I learn more about this? I am going through guix manual but I
don't know which chapter to look for. Also, where can I learn more about
packaging software on GNU/Linux distribution? Like .deb or .rpm

Regards,
Aniket.