unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-03-18 17:40 Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-03-18 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix\@gnu.org

Hi,

I'm recently finding issues running blender. Trying to sculpt a simple shape and rotate the view freezes i3wm but the mouse cursor is still responsive (it even detects when it's on top of a text area or a clickable area) but the screen is frozen and I can open terminals using ctrl-alt-F[2-6] that are actually responsive.

Did you experience anything similar?

I'm on an intel i7-10510U cpu with the integrated graphics card (that is more than capable to handle such models).

Any idea of what can I do to fix this?

Thanks!
Ekaitz

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-03-19  1:24 ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2021-03-19  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix\@gnu.org

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 17:40:19 +0000
Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm recently finding issues running blender. Trying to sculpt a
> simple shape and rotate the view freezes i3wm but the mouse cursor is
> still responsive (it even detects when it's on top of a text area or
> a clickable area) but the screen is frozen and I can open terminals
> using ctrl-alt-F[2-6] that are actually responsive.
>
> Did you experience anything similar?
>
> I'm on an intel i7-10510U cpu with the integrated graphics card (that
> is more than capable to handle such models).
>
> Any idea of what can I do to fix this?
>
> Thanks!
> Ekaitz

I maaaaay have ran into something similar, but didn't record the exact
error at the time.
What guix commit are you on? And are you using drivers from The
Forbidden Channel?

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-03-19 12:49   ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-03-19 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: help-guix\\@gnu.org

Hi!

> I maaaaay have ran into something similar, but didn't record the exact
> error at the time.
> What guix commit are you on? And are you using drivers from The
> Forbidden Channel?

I've worked on Blender 2.83.9 and Blender 2.91.0 and both had the same issue.

I have to admit that I didn't update the window manager in a while.

And yes, I use the drivers from the forbidden channel.

Were you able to fix the issue?

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-03-19 16:00     ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2021-03-19 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: help-guix\\@gnu.org

On Fri, 19 Mar 2021 12:49:09 +0000
Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > I maaaaay have ran into something similar, but didn't record the
> > exact error at the time.
> > What guix commit are you on? And are you using drivers from The
> > Forbidden Channel?
>

> I've worked on Blender 2.83.9 and Blender 2.91.0 and both had the
> same issue.
>
> I have to admit that I didn't update the window manager in a while.
>
> And yes, I use the drivers from the forbidden channel.
>

> Were you able to fix the issue?

I haven't used it for a long time in a while, so, not sure. I'll do
some more modeling soon, I'll try to push it then.
I'm using Sway currently, which seems rather stable. Maybe try that?
Don't even need to reconfigure, just guix environment --ad-hoc sway
(and maybe some more packages) and dbus-run-session sway on a different
vtty.

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-03-27  1:09       ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-03-27  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: help-guix\\\\@gnu.org

Hi all,

I just tried with Gnome Desktop and I was able to replicate the same issue,
it could be related with the hardware or with X11?

I needed to push it a little bit further this time but I remember to
sculpt the models I used for the testing in this actual device or the
previous laptop, which was just older and lower quality...

I am pretty sure this didn't happen in older versions like the 2.7...
:(

The way I manage to replicate is entering the Sculpting mode and rotating
the model.

It just freezes the screen (but not the mouse pointer!).

Just to test I managed to use my muscle memory to run a terminal and
reboot the computer using hotkeys and imagining how should the screen
look like. It actually rebooted the computer as expected.

Also I see no increment on the processing or the temperature of the CPU.

So it's like the window manager or something has issues to manage this
but I don't get what kind of debugging information can I obtain from
the fact that the mouse pointer can be moved around.

Does anyone have any suggestion on that?

> I haven't used it for a long time in a while, so, not sure. I'll do
> some more modeling soon, I'll try to push it then.
> I'm using Sway currently, which seems rather stable. Maybe try that?
> Don't even need to reconfigure, just guix environment --ad-hoc sway
> (and maybe some more packages) and dbus-run-session sway on a different
> vtty.

I'll give it a try to this too, just in case it's only related with X.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep you posted!

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-03-27 12:07         ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-03-27 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: help-guix\\\\\\\\@gnu.org

Btw, I can actually exit the session and stuff like that
but when I'm back it's still frozen.

Does this say something to you?

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-03-27 14:45         ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-03-27 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: raingloom, help-guix\\\\\\\\@gnu.org

Ey Ekaitz,

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 1:09 AM, Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just tried with Gnome Desktop and I was able to replicate the same issue,
> it could be related with the hardware or with X11?
>
> I needed to push it a little bit further this time but I remember to
> sculpt the models I used for the testing in this actual device or the
> previous laptop, which was just older and lower quality...
>
> I am pretty sure this didn't happen in older versions like the 2.7...
> :(
>
> The way I manage to replicate is entering the Sculpting mode and rotating
> the model.

Does this happen with any blend or just with a particular file? What are the exact steps you follow to enter sculpting mode?

I can try it here to see if I get the same result, but I haven't used Blender in a long time and never did sculpting.

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-03-27 19:33           ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-03-27 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: Ekaitz Zarraga, raingloom, help-guix\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\@gnu.org

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 2:45 PM, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

> I can try it here to see if I get the same result, but I haven't used Blender in a long time and never did sculpting.

I just tried the following and couldn't reproduce the issue:

1. Start Blender
2. Delete the default cube
3. Add a UV Sphere (Shift+A → Mesh → UV Sphere)
4. Click the Sculpting tab
5. Click and drag on the sphere to sculpt

This is my system info:

OS: Guix System 11488907f793309aec4b7f52f4c155fb2bdd289f x86_64
Kernel: 5.11.7-gnu
DE: GNOME 3.34.5
BLENDER: 2.91.0
CPU: Intel i3-8100 (4) @ 3.600GHz
GPU: Intel 8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
Memory: 2134MiB / 3766MiB

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-03-27 21:31             ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-03-27 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: help-guix\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\@gnu.org

> > I can try it here to see if I get the same result, but I haven't used Blender in a long time and never did sculpting.
>
> I just tried the following and couldn't reproduce the issue:
>
> 1.  Start Blender
> 2.  Delete the default cube
> 3.  Add a UV Sphere (Shift+A → Mesh → UV Sphere)
> 4.  Click the Sculpting tab
> 5.  Click and drag on the sphere to sculpt

I tried to replicate my own issue and I can't.

So it looks like it is solved. I don't know.

Good news then!

Thanks to all for the help and the support!
Much appreciated.

Ekaitz

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-03-29  9:36               ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-03-29  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: help-guix\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\@gnu.org

Weirdly enough, yesterday I sculpted for 2h in a row and everything went well.

After that, I opened the model I worked on and it freezed my screen again, but this time some buttons of other screens started to appear on top of the frozen window.

Very weird.

Anyway, this looks like it's impossible to debug so I'm going to act as it didn't happen.

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-06-24 16:17                 ` Chris Lemmer-Webber
From: Chris Lemmer-Webber @ 2021-06-24 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: help-guix

I've had the same issue.  I think for me at least, here's the relevant
issue:

  https://developer.blender.org/T72902

Apparently if someone encounters other issues with their card, these
need to be added "on a case per case basis"

  https://developer.blender.org/rBb7acb8690a4d189868c6e0b57057b6fcd8a5a96d

However adding new cards doesn't look too hard.

Not sure if this is too helpful to anyone but I suspect this might keep
happening with intel cards as they roll out.

Ekaitz Zarraga writes:

> Weirdly enough, yesterday I sculpted for 2h in a row and everything
> went well.
>
> After that, I opened the model I worked on and it freezed my screen
> again, but this time some buttons of other screens started to appear
> on top of the frozen window.
>
> Very weird.
>
> Anyway, this looks like it's impossible to debug so I'm going to act
> as it didn't happen.

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-06-24 18:32                   ` Chris Lemmer-Webber
From: Chris Lemmer-Webber @ 2021-06-24 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: help-guix

Spoke too soon, unfortunately. :\

My whole desktop still crashed after some period of use.  However, let
me give some better news...  the patch I linked is not yet in the latest
version of Blender we ship.  So this can probably be fixed either by
upgrading Blender or, should that be annoying to do temporarily, by
backporting this patch, which merges quite cleanly.

Chris Lemmer-Webber writes:

> I've had the same issue.  I think for me at least, here's the relevant
> issue:
>
>   https://developer.blender.org/T72902
>
> Apparently if someone encounters other issues with their card, these
> need to be added "on a case per case basis"
>
>   https://developer.blender.org/rBb7acb8690a4d189868c6e0b57057b6fcd8a5a96d
>
> However adding new cards doesn't look too hard.
>
> Not sure if this is too helpful to anyone but I suspect this might keep
> happening with intel cards as they roll out.
>
> Ekaitz Zarraga writes:
>
>> Weirdly enough, yesterday I sculpted for 2h in a row and everything
>> went well.
>>
>> After that, I opened the model I worked on and it freezed my screen
>> again, but this time some buttons of other screens started to appear
>> on top of the frozen window.
>>
>> Very weird.
>>
>> Anyway, this looks like it's impossible to debug so I'm going to act
>> as it didn't happen.

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-06-25 17:49                     ` Chris Lemmer-Webber
From: Chris Lemmer-Webber @ 2021-06-25 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: help-guix

Well I was wrong about the patch applying cleanly too.  Not paying close
attention, apparently.  And that patch was merged already in the current
version of Blender we ship.

It looks like my GPU, which is (according to lspci):

  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620 (Whiskey Lake)

has particular trouble:

  https://developer.blender.org/T80458#1182395

Frustrating.
 - Chris

Chris Lemmer-Webber writes:

> Spoke too soon, unfortunately. :\
>
> My whole desktop still crashed after some period of use.  However, let
> me give some better news...  the patch I linked is not yet in the latest
> version of Blender we ship.  So this can probably be fixed either by
> upgrading Blender or, should that be annoying to do temporarily, by
> backporting this patch, which merges quite cleanly.
>
> Chris Lemmer-Webber writes:
>
>> I've had the same issue.  I think for me at least, here's the relevant
>> issue:
>>
>>   https://developer.blender.org/T72902
>>
>> Apparently if someone encounters other issues with their card, these
>> need to be added "on a case per case basis"
>>
>>   https://developer.blender.org/rBb7acb8690a4d189868c6e0b57057b6fcd8a5a96d
>>
>> However adding new cards doesn't look too hard.
>>
>> Not sure if this is too helpful to anyone but I suspect this might keep
>> happening with intel cards as they roll out.
>>
>> Ekaitz Zarraga writes:
>>
>>> Weirdly enough, yesterday I sculpted for 2h in a row and everything
>>> went well.
>>>
>>> After that, I opened the model I worked on and it freezed my screen
>>> again, but this time some buttons of other screens started to appear
>>> on top of the frozen window.
>>>
>>> Very weird.
>>>
>>> Anyway, this looks like it's impossible to debug so I'm going to act
>>> as it didn't happen.

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-10-03 19:59 Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-10-03 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix\@gnu.org, Christopher Lemmer Webber

> Well I was wrong about the patch applying cleanly too.  Not paying close
> Attention, apparently.  And that patch was merged already in the current
> Version of Blender we ship.
>
> It looks like my GPU, which is (according to lspci):
>
>   00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation UHD Graphics 620
> (Whiskey Lake)
>
> Has particular trouble:
>
>   https://developer.blender.org/T80458#1182395
>
> Frustrating.

Hi all,

I found this error again and I don't know what to do.
Honestly this sucks really hard.

I checked the error report at blender.org and I find the
same error even with the same file that is added in the error
report:

```
Oct  3 21:52:44 localhost vmunix: [35774.167860] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Resetting rcs0 for preemption time out
Oct  3 21:52:44 localhost vmunix: [35774.167877] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] blender[12755] context reset due to GPU hang
Oct  3 21:52:44 localhost vmunix: [35774.197793] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 9:1:85df9ebf, in blender [12755]
Oct  3 21:52:45 localhost vmunix: [35774.871808] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Resetting rcs0 for preemption time out
Oct  3 21:52:45 localhost vmunix: [35774.871827] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] blender[12755] context reset due to GPU hang
Oct  3 21:52:45 localhost vmunix: [35774.879501] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 9:1:85dfbfff, in blender [12755]
Oct  3 21:52:54 localhost vmunix: [35784.215617] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Resetting rcs0 for preemption time out
Oct  3 21:52:54 localhost vmunix: [35784.215643] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] blender[12755] context reset due to GPU hang
Oct  3 21:52:54 localhost vmunix: [35784.224865] i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 9:1:85dfbfff, in blender [12755]
```

Is there any chance that we can fix this?
Any ideas?

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-10-03 20:40 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2021-10-03 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga, znavko--- via, Christopher Lemmer Webber

On Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 15:59, Ekaitz Zarraga wrote:
> Is there any chance that we can fix this?

There's not a fix available upstream yet, right?

> Any ideas?

I think we have two different versions of Blender. Does the old one work?

* Re: Blender freezes i3wm
@ 2021-10-03 20:47   ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-10-03 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: znavko--- via

> On Sun, Oct 3, 2021, at 15:59, Ekaitz Zarraga wrote:
>
> > Is there any chance that we can fix this?
>
> There's not a fix available upstream yet, right?

There's a mesa suggestion:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/3751
But I didn't try it yet.

> > Any ideas?
>
> I think we have two different versions of Blender. Does the old one work?

It surely will but it lacks most of the features I need :(