unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* help: screen tearing in guix
@ 2021-10-22  2:31 dikasetyaprayogi--- via
From: dikasetyaprayogi--- via @ 2021-10-22  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

 hello fresh guixsd user here, i had a problem with screen tearing.

usually in my other parabola gnu linux machine i just make intel anti tearing conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf and the problem gone.

when i do this in guix looks there is no effect, any way how to integrate this to guixsd? thanks.

* Re: help: screen tearing in guix
@ 2021-10-22  6:16 ` Daniel Meißner
From: Daniel Meißner @ 2021-10-22  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dikasetyaprayogi; +Cc: help-guix

Hi dikasetyaprayogi,

> hello fresh guixsd user here, i had a problem with screen tearing.
>
> usually in my other parabola gnu linux machine i just make intel anti
> tearing conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf and the problem
> gone.
>
> when i do this in guix looks there is no effect, any way how to
> integrate this to guixsd? thanks.

The system configuration of Guix works a little differently from
manipulating the config files directly.  Instead, the whole system
configuration is done inside of an operating-system record in a Scheme
file (see [1] for more info).  You can add your Xorg configuration to
the xorg-configuration record field of your display manager (see [2])
and then run `guix system reconfigure /path/to/your/config.scm'.  If you
have installed Guix via its graphical installer you should find your
system configuration at `/etc/config.scm'.

Best
Daniel

1: https://guix.gnu.org/de/manual/devel/en/html_node/Using-the-Configuration-System.html
2: https://guix.gnu.org/de/manual/devel/en/html_node/X-Window.html#X-Window

* Re: help: screen tearing in guix
@ 2021-10-22 10:54   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-10-22 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Daniel Meißner, dikasetyaprayogi

Hi,

I'd be interested in the content of that file. Where does it come from, can you share it? As a bonus, I would be able to use it and help you if I find out how to configure my system to use it :)

@ 2021-10-22 14:33     ` dikasetyaprayogi--- via
From: dikasetyaprayogi--- via @ 2021-10-22 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Date: Oct 22, 2021, 17:54
From: julien@lepiller.eu
To: help-guix@gnu.org, daniel.meissner-i4k@ruhr-uni-bochum.de, dikasetyaprayogi@tutamail.com
Subject: Re: help: screen tearing in guix

> Hi,
>
> I'd be interested in the content of that file. Where does it come from, can you share it? As a bonus, I would be able to use it and help you if I find out how to configure my system to use it :)

Hi, thank you all for the tips.

@julien im usualy used intel anti tearing conf from archwiki:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/intel_graphics#Troubleshooting

im still new into scheming language, must read the manual novel throughfuly first :D

temporarily solved the screen tearing problem by subtitute picom into lxde, a bit extra memory tough.

* Re: help: screen tearing in guix
@ 2021-10-23 20:50       ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-10-23 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dikasetyaprayogi; +Cc: Help Guix

I think this is what you are looking for:
https://gitlab.com/ekaitz-zarraga/guix-configuration/-/blob/master/desktop.scm#L115
HTH!!

ElenQ Technology
Ethical Innovation

* Re: help: screen tearing in guix
@ 2021-10-23 22:18         ` dikasetyaprayogi--- via
From: dikasetyaprayogi--- via @ 2021-10-23 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Guix

Date: Oct 24, 2021, 03:50
From: ekaitz@elenq.tech
To: dikasetyaprayogi@tutamail.com
Cc: help-guix@gnu.org

> I think this is what you are looking for:
> https://gitlab.com/ekaitz-zarraga/guix-configuration/-/blob/master/desktop.scm#L115
> HTH!!
>
> ElenQ Technology
> Ethical Innovation

Thank you very much @ekaitz, problem solved.

for the future maybe a screen tearing section in guix wiki would be a great help and quick access for starter :)

* Re: help: screen tearing in guix
@ 2021-10-24 10:48           ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-10-24 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dikasetyaprayogi; +Cc: Help Guix

> Thank you very much @ekaitz, problem solved.
>
> for the future maybe a screen tearing section in guix wiki would be a great help and quick access for starter :)

It's a shame Guix doesn't have a wiki :P
I don't know if Guix's documentation is designed to include this kind of specific things, but we could try to add it.

The change is basically the same that comes in the ArchWiki but it must be set through the Guix configuration system that fills xorg.conf.

:)

* Re: help: screen tearing in guix
@ 2021-10-24 10:54             ` Pascal Lorenz
From: Pascal Lorenz @ 2021-10-24 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: Help Guix

> On 24. Oct 2021, at 12:48, Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech> wrote:
>

>> Thank you very much @ekaitz, problem solved.
>>
>> for the future maybe a screen tearing section in guix wiki would be a great help and quick access for starter :)
>
> It's a shame Guix doesn't have a wiki :P
> I don't know if Guix's documentation is designed to include this kind of specific things, but we could try to add it.

I think that's what the cookbook is for.

@ 2021-10-24 11:00               ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-10-24 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Lorenz; +Cc: Help Guix

> > I don't know if Guix's documentation is designed to include this kind of specific things, but we could try to add it.
>
> I think that's what the cookbook is for.

Thanks! Any suggestion on where to include it or how?

* Re: help: screen tearing in guix
@ 2021-10-24 18:47         ` André A. Gomes
From: André A. Gomes @ 2021-10-24 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: Help Guix

Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech> writes:

> I think this is what you are looking for:
> https://gitlab.com/ekaitz-zarraga/guix-configuration/-/blob/master/desktop.scm#L115
> HTH!!

Hi Ekaitz,

I've noticed that on my laptop's built-in screen there's some kind of
weird "delay" going on.  For instance, the cursor lags behind after
hitting Space.  On my external monitor, there are no issues at all.  If
that matters, the built-in screen native resolution is almost 4K.  I've
tried to play with the ModeLine settings in the past, but I wasn't able
to solve it.

I'm wondering if this "TearFree" option sounds like it could solve my
issue.  Regardless, I'll give it a try.

I also took a look at your config, and I noticed the last section
relative to ModemManager.

I've been playing with DIY keyboards (as you know) and I'm just curious
why exactly ModemManager interferes with USB devices.

For now I've solved the issue by adding the following udev rule:

SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1b4f", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9205",
TAG+="uaccess", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"

My understand is that MM from "ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE" stands for
ModemManager.  I'd like to get a deeper understanding of what's going
on.  If you can share some pointers, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"

* Re: help: screen tearing in guix
@ 2021-10-24 18:55                 ` André A. Gomes
From: André A. Gomes @ 2021-10-24 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: Help Guix

Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech> writes:

>> > I don't know if Guix's documentation is designed to include this kind of specific things, but we could try to add it.
>>
>> I think that's what the cookbook is for.
>>

> Thanks! Any suggestion on where to include it or how?

I'd say that such information doesn't belong to any Guix manual.  It's
too specific.

However, (info "(guix) X Window"), specifically
`set-xorg-configuration`, could perhaps make it more explicit that users
should dig into xorg man pages.

--
André A. Gomes
"Free Thought, Free World"

* Re: help: screen tearing in guix
@ 2021-10-27 10:03           ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2021-10-27 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André A. Gomes; +Cc: Help Guix

Hi Andre

> I've noticed that on my laptop's built-in screen there's some kind of
> weird "delay" going on.  For instance, the cursor lags behind after
> hitting Space.  On my external monitor, there are no issues at all.  If
> that matters, the built-in screen native resolution is almost 4K.  I've
> tried to play with the ModeLine settings in the past, but I wasn't able
> to solve it.
>
> I'm wondering if this "TearFree" option sounds like it could solve my
> issue.  Regardless, I'll give it a try.

In my laptop it didn't resolve tearing totally but it reduced it (I think,
I made the change recently and I was trained to ignore it :S)

> I also took a look at your config, and I noticed the last section
> relative to ModemManager.
>
> I've been playing with DIY keyboards (as you know) and I'm just curious
> why exactly ModemManager interferes with USB devices.
>
> For now I've solved the issue by adding the following udev rule:

> SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1b4f", ATTRS{idProduct}=="9205",
> TAG+="uaccess", ENV{ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE}="1"
>
> My understand is that MM from "ID_MM_DEVICE_IGNORE" stands for
> ModemManager.  I'd like to get a deeper understanding of what's going
> on.  If you can share some pointers, I'd appreciate it.

The modem manager basically tries to know if anything you connected
is a modem so it sends AT commands to the serial devices right when
they are connected. That may interfere with your work.

The udev rule you added id more than enough I think. I'm a radical guy
so I just removed the modem manager service :)